Cooks Wood Road

Does anyone know when Cockswood Road became Cooks Wood Road? The 1938 and 1948 maps show it as Cockswood Road.

---------- Post added 05-12-2015 at 10:21 ----------

Also. when was Shirecliffe Hall demolished?

Hi leso1 - "Cockswood" must be an error on the maps you have seen. Old Kelly's directories invariably show it as Cooks Wood Road, and I have a late 1930s map - see here - with this spelling. Peter Harvey, in his book Street Names of Sheffield, states that the name of the road comes "from a nearby wood, Cooks Wood, once extensive, now virtually gone, and thought to have been named after a person called Cook. The wood is mentioned in Harrison's survey of 1637". Looking at earlier maps "Cook Wood" is shown on this map of 1855.

Yes, I've read that before, about the origin of the name and I've seen the 1850 map which clearly shows the wood. The maps I refer to clearly show it as Cockswood (all one word) in 1938 when the road was under construction and again in 1948 when it is complete. see here http://maps.nls.uk/view/100950071, what about Shirecliffe Hall?

Definitely a mistake on the first map, copied on to the second. It was never Cockswood Road. The wood was always known as "Cook's Wood" and the road always appears in directories as COOKS WOOD ROAD, as Hillsboro correctly observed.

Yes, I've read that before, about the origin of the name and I've seen the 1850 map which clearly shows the wood. The maps I refer to clearly show it as Cockswood (all one word) in 1938 when the road was under construction and again in 1948 when it is complete. see here http://maps.nls.uk/view/100950071, what about Shirecliffe Hall?

There is a thread on Sheffield History which gives a little bit of the history of the Hall; says it was demolished in the early part of the 19th century.

The spelling error on the 1938 revision of the 20's OS 6''map could,in part, be that with WW2 looming, this 'Addition' was hurried and didn't see publication until 1946.

I remember, as a child, visiting our immediate former neighbours to see their new house on the East side of Cooks Wood Road in 1938 which endorses the earlier replies to this topic.

There is a thread on Sheffield History which gives a little bit of the history of the Hall; says it was demolished in the early part of the 19th century...
This was evidently an earlier Shirecliffe Hall that was replaced by the "new" one - here is a link to a 1938 photo on the picturesheffield.com site. The new hall doesn't appear on this map of 1951, and so on this basis it must have been demolished in the intervening period.

Yeah,I agree, its was probably demolished during construction of Cooks Wood Road. Thanks for the scan from Kelly's Directory 1942. Voldy is probably right about the 6 inch map being hurried.

...its was probably demolished during construction of Cooks Wood Road...
Could well be. I don't suppose that the construction of Cooks Wood Road, on land that might have belonged to Shirecliffe Hall, would in itself have affected the hall, but perhaps the building had structural problem and/or the temperance hotel business was struggling. Here is a comparison of Kelly's Directory entries for the relevant part of Shirecliffe Lane from the 1938 and 1942 editions.

I was rather intrigued by the name "Miss Phoebe Jukes". I could just imagine a non-nonsense, schoolmarm-type woman, a "leading light" of the local Temperance League. She was actually born in Staffordshire, and at the time of the 1911 census was a restaurateur in Sheffield. At this time Shirecliffe Hall was still a private residence, the home of Miss Alice Jane Watson, whose father John Watson had owned the hall for many years prior to his death in 1909 at the ripe old age of 99. By 1924 Phoebe Jukes was running the temperance hotel at Shirecliffe Hall - she is in the middle of this 1930 photo taken there. What became of her after the hotel closed I cannot say, but she died in Sheffield in 1966, aged 82.

Edited by hillsbro

It seems, Voldy, you and I about the same age. I can remember my uncle and aunt pushing me in a pushchair up Shirecliffe Lane to view the new houses being built toward the top of Cookswood.

Thanks to Hillsboro for even more info on this subject, great job. I'm going to check out what is left up there. Looks like 201 Shirecliffe Road could be The Woodlands.