House Broken Into (S12) - Advice Please??

Hi Guys

I am very sad to say that my home was broken into last night (2/2), they got a few electricals and all of my jewelry but we are all ok and that is the main thing!

I am now worried about the security of my home and find myself uneasy with the thought of leaving it. Can someone help me with how I can beef everything up?

I have a security system but it wasn't armed that day due to the weather, we left our moggies inside (located eventually and unharmed). The policeman talked about taping up the motion sensors so they only detect things above shoulder height…

Does anyone have any experience with pet motion sensors? I've seen stuff online about duel tech but wanted some actual experience..?

We have motion-activated floodlights all around the property but they could have broken in at anytime of day as was at work from 8am.

They broke in through our sliding patio doors, which we have now decided to replace, but until then has anyone any experience with how to secure these better?

Thanks

K

There is a thread somewhere on the forum about the security of patio doors. We have secured ours with an electric operated shutter but it was pricey. Years ago our alarm system had door sensors because of the pets but now it has the infrared detectors. As you say, they are not practical for animal owners. I wish we could go back to the old system.

''With a traditional motion detector, when your pet enters the coverage area, a sensor is tripped and causes a false alarm. Pet immune motion detectors ignore the motion caused by animals and thus reduce the likelihood of a false alarm. Features vary by manufacturer and model, but can include selectable sensitivity for pets up to 40 pounds or those weighing up to 80 pounds and can be set to disregard one large pet, like a full-grown dog or several small pets, like cats''.

I have a pet immune motion detector and it does the job. Try Hadfields

The sad news is that you are more vulnerable after a burglary and there is a higher chance of being burgled again. Get a locksmith out to advise you. The police used to offer this service but I doubt they still do. Also remember that you may need to get out of the house in a hurry. I would also suggest being wary of your dealings with the insurance company as it may effect your premiums, having made a claim.

Have you thought about cameras?

Dual tec detectors will detect your cats, they are designed to pick up movement with heat not just heat ,thus dual technology detection , contact your alarm provider to install sensors that don't pick up pets, we have had them for over 10 years with no false alarms at all.

Pet discriminating sensors work.

You can get door and window sensors as well.

Your alarm system might not have enough inputs thou.

Security film on all glass surfaces is quite effective and you can apply it yourself.

Dummy CCTV cameras are cheap, just place them out of reach.

Changing locks to snap and bump proof is essential.

Multiple ways to deter and slow down burglars but remember that no system prevents burglary.

It only makes it harder. And is as strong as its weakest part.

Alarms are secondary, access (ease of) is primary.

Try contacting your home-insurance company for advice, as far as I am aware most of them have advice packs, you might get one automatically. If you do not have home-insurance that covers burglary than this might be a good time to investigate that.

Unfortunately I can't find the English word for these gizmo's, but you can get easy to install window 'locks', that add extra security, the Dutch call them crowfeet. They basically stop the window being able to be opened far enough to get a person through, they are not the slidey-arms built into many modern UPVC windows but literally resemble crow feet.

All your doors should have security bolting locks on three spots, top, middle and bottom as a minimum, modern systems enable that with just one key. Patio doors are always tricky but I assume your new doors will come with whatever is needed.

If you have small window-panes in or near doors, ensure that you keep the keys OUT of the lock at all times.

Being burgled is an awful experience and I really hope you don't have to go through it again.

After a similar incident many years ago, the Crime Prevention Officer came round. I asked about floodlights and his reply was..

"why give the burglar light to work by"

In my opinion, work out where the easy access is, work out where they can work unseen, in light or otherwise, protect those areas, bushes with nasty thorns can be very good. Make them go on to another house.

Richard

Yes, it would be a good idea to ask for a visit from Crime Prevention. However, patio doors are notorious for being the point of access for burglars (as you have found out) so the most important thing to do at the outset is to get that secured. This thread is about the same issue but not much information on it. I have seen lockable security gates/grilles. They can be fitted inside or perhaps something like this might work. We have one of these on the back door of our garage, secured with two padlocks. As soon as you get the opportunity, secure the patio door.

I have seen lockable security gates/grilles. They can be fitted inside or perhaps something like this might work. We have one of these on the back door of our garage, secured with two padlocks. As soon as you get the opportunity, secure the patio door.

You can get scissor type ones for patio doors and such, looks a lot better and folds out of way.

Hi Guys

Does anyone have an alarm fitter they can suggest for the pet friendly motion sensors? I did specify them when we had the alarm fitted but he decided to fit normal ones instead which obviously don't work at all..

I have ordered 2 of these to try and secure the door a bit more for now. It's been "secured" by the insurance company but I'm not happy with it so they are coming to assess repairing the door. I am allowed to upgrade to a new unit if I pay the difference so we are going to do that.

We are looking into CCTV now and will be looking at suitable plants to put behind the fence when the weather gets a bit better.

Thank you for your replies so far it has been really appreciated. If anyone else has any suggestions/stories to share please do :)

Regards K

2 + cats you will need Bosch tritech pet dual techs with carefull positioning , not cheap but they do the job !