Zuckerberg gives $45 billion to charity, Guardian readers complain

I use a legal tax reduction system as well,if its there people are going to use it.Nobody likes paying tax.

I have an issue with this. If he is setting up a charity that will benefit someone, where is the problem? Yes, I'm sure he has a team advising him on tax issues, but good on him. Like was said before, he could have bought a yacht, and said sod the lot of you, I'm loaded.

I really truly believe that this is a great thing to happen.

So, Eric, it's not just Guardian readers that are viewing this kindness with a little suspicion.

I'm a Guardian reader. See what happens when you tar everyone with your own brush. ;)

I use a legal tax reduction system as well,if its there people are going to use it.Nobody likes paying tax.

At least you're honest and I have no problem in someone using the system as it is set out. My only issue is how this story has been wrapped up as a benevolent act. This is dishonest and what some don't see to understand is, Zuckerberg has a huge PR machine at his disposal that will be handling how and what information makes its way into the media.

Some seem to have swallowed this news, hook, line, weight, rod and deckchair.

The headline should read:

Zuckerberg to give away over his lifetime 60+ years 99% of Facebook which will be tax deductible to a charity he controls.

In fact the headline should be Zuckerberg's finally work out how to avoid most of their tax.

Well, that's a great plan. If you give away 99% of what you own, you too can avoid most of your tax.

But you will ultimately own far less than if you just paid tax. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 04-12-2015 at 09:00 ----------

Resorting to insults is the quickest way to lose any discussion.

So why did you start it with "naive and gullible" then?

---------- Post added 04-12-2015 at 09:05 ----------

At least you're honest and I have no problem in someone using the system as it is set out. My only issue is how this story has been wrapped up as a benevolent act.

He's going to give away $45 billion dollars.

How is that not benevolent?

Yes, he's going to direct the charitable aims it's used for, but someone has to, and he does manage to run one of the largest IT companies in the world, so he's got some skills.

That's $750million for each of those 60 years by the way.

This is dishonest and what some don't see to understand is, Zuckerberg has a huge PR machine at his disposal that will be handling how and what information makes its way into the media.

Some seem to have swallowed this news, hook, line, weight, rod and deckchair.

What's the dishonesty, charitable giving is always tax deductible, it's still giving though.

I'm a Guardian reader. See what happens when you tar everyone with your own brush. ;)

Like in your OP you mean?

Some would argue that people who give away 'their' money like this are only giving away tax that they have avoided paying over the years, as a result of elaborate tax schemes.

So not really giving away 'their' money, but tax money avoided.

Some would be wrong though wouldn't they.