Norton Retail Park - St James

yes its not very green in that area anymore and even less if we lose the green space at meadowhead,but thats the modern way

On 29/10/2018 at 20:01, biscotti said:

It gets very congested though.

I was there at 3pm today. Even at that time on a dreary Monday in late October, it was very busy. In six weeks time it will be bonkers.

15 hours ago, walkermark said:

or ratrunners avoiding the two sets of lights on the parkway.

It is a great rat run, even with all the speed bumps.

noticed over the last few weeks many u turns at the entrance to the retail park,ie coming from the meadowhead roundabout,heading to  norton,they take the retail exit,but do a unturn to

gain a quicker access to dyche lane,possibly school pick up parents,needs a sign to stop this,also lots going into the retail park about a few yards in and doing the same,any others noticed this?

7 minutes ago, bassett one said:

noticed over the last few weeks many u turns at the entrance to the retail park,ie coming from the meadowhead roundabout,heading to  norton,they take the retail exit,but do a unturn to

gain a quicker access to dyche lane,possibly school pick up parents,needs a sign to stop this,also lots going into the retail park about a few yards in and doing the same,any others noticed this?

It's tempting because otherwise you have to drive an extra 1 mile to get to the same position but on the other side of the road, thus adding to the climate change emergency unnecessarily. I cannot remember there being a no U-turn sign there. I've never tried doing it myself but if I needed to, I'd be tempted.

Edited by WiseOwl182

there is no sign ,so its legal,but a bit dangerous dont you think

4 hours ago, bassett one said:

there is no sign ,so its legal,but a bit dangerous dont you think

Not really no, because if you can go through the lights on green to be able to do it in the first place, the traffic coming the other way is sat at a red light expecting you to turn right across them.

but its normally illegal to do u turns on dual carrageways ,bet they put up a sign soon

5 hours ago, bassett one said:

but its normally illegal to do u turns on dual carrageways ,bet they put up a sign soon

No sign at the moment, and can't see why it's unsafe for the reason I gave above. It does help tackle climate change though.

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

No sign at the moment, and can't see why it's unsafe for the reason I gave above. It does help tackle climate change though.

So it might, but it doesn't help a pedestrian crossing the road at that point (instead of using the crossing) who isn't expecting cars to perform that manoeuvre.

12 minutes ago, WarPig said:

So it might, but it doesn't help a pedestrian crossing the road at that point (instead of using the crossing) who isn't expecting cars to perform that manoeuvre.

It wouldn't affect a pedestrian, afaik the crossing is not in the path of the u-turn being discussed here.

but if they were crossing the dual carrageway and racing to beat the traffic coming out of the retail park,it could be a fatal incident

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

but if they were crossing the dual carrageway and racing to beat the traffic coming out of the retail park,it could be a fatal incident

So if a pedestrian was crossing a busy dual carriageway at a point that isn't a designated crossing, there could be a fatal incident? Well yes, but that's true anywhere, and it's unlikely to be as a result of a U turn that is slow speed by necessity.