Norton Retail Park - St James

On 05/05/2019 at 13:27, WiseOwl182 said:

and it's unlikely to be as a result of a U turn that is slow speed by necessity.

No its not, I watch them do the U turn at high speed as they are probably not sure if traffic will be flowing from the other traffic lights, or they do it at speed whilst theres a gap.

A pedestrian crossing at that location wouldn't necessarily be expecting cars to do a U turn

On 04/05/2019 at 23:30, WiseOwl182 said:

It wouldn't affect a pedestrian, afaik the crossing is not in the path of the u-turn being discussed here.

it would affect the pedestrian as they are crossing where the cars are doing their U turns, and not using the crossing at all.

19 hours ago, WarPig said:

No its not, I watch them do the U turn at high speed as they are probably not sure if traffic will be flowing from the other traffic lights, or they do it at speed whilst theres a gap.

A pedestrian crossing at that location wouldn't necessarily be expecting cars to do a U turn

it would affect the pedestrian as they are crossing where the cars are doing their U turns, and not using the crossing at all.

Both problems solved by the pedestrians using the designated crossing.

On 10/05/2019 at 18:22, WiseOwl182 said:

Both problems solved by the pedestrians using the designated crossing.

No, they aren't solved. Using the pedestrian crossing isn't compulsory, and anyone walking out of the main entrance/exit and wanting to immediately cross and turn right wouldn't really want to have to turn left instead, and walk to the crossing.

It's quite acceptable to assume that its safe to cross when the traffic from their right comes to s stop at the red light, whilst traffic from their left then proceeds through their green light to turn right into the shopping centre. Thats when the danger rears its head - a pedestrian crossing the road whilst a car from their left does a U turn.

Lots of school kids walking home from school in the afternoon use the shopping centre, quite easy for one of them to believe its safe to cross at that point.

38 minutes ago, WarPig said:

No, they aren't solved. Using the pedestrian crossing isn't compulsory, and anyone walking out of the main entrance/exit and wanting to immediately cross and turn right wouldn't really want to have to turn left instead, and walk to the crossing.

It's quite acceptable to assume that its safe to cross when the traffic from their right comes to s stop at the red light, whilst traffic from their left then proceeds through their green light to turn right into the shopping centre. Thats when the danger rears its head - a pedestrian crossing the road whilst a car from their left does a U turn.

Lots of school kids walking home from school in the afternoon use the shopping centre, quite easy for one of them to believe its safe to cross at that point.

But what you're saying is that pedestrians should be able to cross a busy dual carriageway freely without fear. It's just not reality.

Anyway, as I've said before, a sharp U turn is difficult to achieve at high speed unless you're an expert at handbrake turns, so it's very unlikely somebody performing a U turn would do so at such speed they'd not be able to stop for a pedestrian playing Lemmings. There is no sign there, so I can only assume it's ok to do the U turn.

I've not tried it myself but the environmental benefits of saving a mile in pointless petrol driving up to the roundabout and back down again are phenomenal. Surely you'd endorse such environmentally conscious driving?

Not if it means risking peoples lives for the sake of saving a few seconds of driving.

On 14/05/2019 at 00:36, WiseOwl182 said:

I've not tried it myself but the environmental benefits of saving a mile in pointless petrol driving up to the roundabout and back down again are phenomenal.

How "phenomenal" are the environmental benefits? What minute fraction of 1% of fuel consumption in Sheffield are we talking about. Or even locally.

Edited by Longcol

On 02/05/2019 at 18:44, bassett one said:

noticed over the last few weeks many u turns at the entrance to the retail park,ie coming from the meadowhead roundabout,heading to  norton,they take the retail exit,but do a unturn to

gain a quicker access to dyche lane,possibly school pick up parents,needs a sign to stop this,also lots going into the retail park about a few yards in and doing the same,any others noticed this?

What I have noticed is that 90% or so of the people doing the u turns are VW drivers, I’m presuming they are going to JCT600.  Also lately  had a number of people turn , as if going into retail park, but turn on entry/exit road heading back to dual carriageway. Which is worse, u turn or turning on the entry/exit which holds up both entry & exit lanes? Some people just can’t wait so cause havoc for other Road users.

I HAVE seen this also and agree its even worse,so it needs sorting asap

21 hours ago, WarPig said:

Not if it means risking peoples lives for the sake of saving a few seconds of driving.

It's not risking people's lives. A slow U turn at a set of traffic lights with no pedestrian crossing is not endangering anyone. It's not a few seconds either.

21 hours ago, Longcol said:

How "phenomenal" are the environmental benefits? What minute fraction of 1% of fuel consumption in Sheffield are we talking about. Or even locally.

Absolutely phenomenal. Saving the unnecessary burning of fossil fuels and contributing to saving the planet.

23 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Absolutely phenomenal. Saving the unnecessary burning of fossil fuels and contributing to saving the planet.

I see - you're definition of "phenomenal" is somewhat less than miniscule - but you're just trolling again.