Norton Retail Park - St James

I can see a Next Home going there - the nearest one (I believe?) is Meadowhall, unless there is one in Chesterfield that I don't know about.

I can see a Next Home going there - the nearest one (I believe?) is Meadowhall, unless there is one in Chesterfield that I don't know about.

Erm...ok.

As I said before, I think it would be unlikely, but you never know I guess.

A bike shop would also be a good candidate for one of the units IMO.

Does anyone know what going in the old carpet right building next to homebase on Chesterfield road?

Does anyone know what going in the old carpet right building next to homebase on Chesterfield road?

I heard Dunelm were moving up there from Queens Road, something to do with their lease being up. Not heard anything official though.

The development of the old Norton College site for retail use is a lack of imagination on behalf of the developers, who want a scheme which seems easy to fund and let. However, the financial case would be far less robust if Sheffield City Council acted properly to extract from them the full cost of alterations to deal with the effect upon Meadowhead roundabout of considerable extra traffic congestion which the scheme would generate.

This major traffic blackspot has recently received a lengthy re-design and re-working, for no apparent benefit, as it remains a choke point for the whole of the south of the city. To alleviate this problem the roundabout would need to be enlarged to a size which is visible from outer space, and take in the sports ground on the opposite side of Chesterfield Road (which historically attracted it`s own retail consent - thankfully not implemented), or a new ring road system to enable through traffic to by-pass the area altogether.

Liability for millions of pounds of money on public works as a condition of the grant of planning permission should make the scheme financially unsound, and encourage a wider debate about a sustainable future for the site.

If Sheffield City Council think that more retail space is required in the south of the city it should use it`s powers to bring forth the old aerodrome/driver training centre site for that use.

should have stayed as a college there are not enough training centres or turn it into a sure start, maybe corbyn will

totally agree we desperately need somewhere to shop in the south side of the city,no argos,no clothes shops,carpets and furniture ect,unless you go to woodseats and then you would need a helicopter,but I agree with random seller the Norton airbase would be perfect as its got a tram stop and lots of space for parking,plus bus routes,give us a retail park ,but in the right spot for everyone thanks

I have to admit, its frustrating to see all the colleges moved to the other sides of the city.

I will never understand this argument that all retail development will make traffic worse though.

Could it not in fact reduce traffic as it becomes an alternative to traveling to/through Woodseats and the City Centre? Obviously this depends specifically what retail stores it will have.

I agree, what about the Norton Aerodrome/Lightwood, although a brownfield area, I believe this is presently owned by the NHS and held as a proposed site for the new Southern General hospital development. It has tram access and on the ring road, perfect site for a retail park if the NHS decide against building a new hospital on the site.

I agree, what about the Norton Aerodrome/Lightwood, although a brownfield area, I believe this is presently owned by the NHS and held as a proposed site for the new Southern General hospital development. It has tram access and on the ring road, perfect site for a retail park if the NHS decide against building a new hospital on the site.

AFAIK the idea of a Southern General Hospital was shelved back in the late 1970's when I worked at the HQ of the old Trent Region in Fulwood.

The site is owned by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA).They sound like a government quango.

It would have been a perfect site for a hospital ,like you say.