The Yorkshire Ripper Now "Sane" Enough To Be Moved Back To Prison

Peter Sutcliffe is apparently now sane enough to be moved back to a normal prison from Broadmoor .

The BBC understands a report by medical experts suggests he be moved from the psychiatric unit to prison.

The Ministry of Justice said the final decision would be made by Justice Secretary Michael Gove.

My view is Broadmoor is the easy way out for him ,and he should be put back among other prisoners ,and not protected . Im sure he would be made very welcome .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34971535

How is Broadmoor the easy option?

Peter Sutcliffe is apparently now sane enough to be moved back to a normal prison from Broadmoor .

The BBC understands a report by medical experts suggests he be moved from the psychiatric unit to prison.

The Ministry of Justice said the final decision would be made by Justice Secretary Michael Gove.

My view is Broadmoor is the easy way out for him ,and he should be put back among other prisoners ,and not protected . Im sure he would be made very welcome .

"Patients" in Broadmoor have less rights than prisoners do, so there is no way that being in Broadmoor is an easy option.

My guess is , if Peter Sutcliffe was given the choice he would prefer to stay in Broadmoor rather than to uproots at his age and move to a strange high security prison .

It would not surprise me if some people think now he his 'Sane' he should be released back into society .

My guess is , if Peter Sutcliffe was given the choice he would prefer to stay in Broadmoor rather than to uproots at his age and move to a strange high security prison .

It would not surprise me if some people think now he his 'Sane' he should be released back into society .

It would surprise me, I've yet to meet one person who thought that he deserves a second chance in society.

Well he is something of a local legend, with his historical links to the city of Sheffield.

I heard this on the radio earlier with a friend of mine, which led to a discussion of an ethical question: if he was convicted on the grounds of diminished responsibility due to a mental health condition, if he is no longer deemed to have this condition does that conviction still hold from a legal standpoint?

I've now read the article so I know more details about his conviction and incarceration (which answers the question, to me), but as a purely academic question it was interesting.

As this is Sheffield Forum, I now feel the need to point out that I don't think he should be released, it's just a point of discussion...

I heard this on the radio earlier with a friend of mine, which led to a discussion of an ethical question: if he was convicted on the grounds of diminished responsibility due to a mental health condition, if he is no longer deemed to have this condition does that conviction still hold from a legal standpoint?

I've now read the article so I know more details about his conviction and incarceration (which answers the question, to me), but as a purely academic question it was interesting.

As this is Sheffield Forum, I now feel the need to point out that I don't think he should be released, it's just a point of discussion...

Being in Broadmoor seems to have cured his illness, he has served his tariff too so I wonder if he will be making a fresh bid to be released?

Being in Broadmoor seems to have cured his illness, he has served his tariff too so I wonder if he will be making a fresh bid to be released?

He was given a whole life term, he'll never be released.

He should be wherever is cheapest to the taxpayer.

With paranoid schizophrenia, he's not cured, just his symptoms are managed well enough for him to be considered "well".

I doubt he'll be considered low enough risk to be released into society to be treated there. Plus a high court judge recommended he should never be released...

Caught this on radio 2 this morning

Couldn't believe it! :shocked: