Organ Donor Regulations in Wales - Rest of UK?

If this policy became UK-wide...  

33 members have voted

1. 1. If this policy became UK-wide...

• If you're already registered, would you NOT "Opt Out"
    • If you're already registered, would you "Opt Out"
    • If you're not already registered, would you NOT "Opt Out"
    • If you're not already registered, would you "Opt Out"

As I'm now living in Wales this law change applies to me.

There has been lots of literature through the door advertising the changes for a number of months now.

I've chosen to ignore them, and do nothing....in effect giving my consent.

I've also made sure my family know my wishes, as under the new rules they will still be asked for permission.

The problem as I see it is anyone deemed to have consented in this way MUST let their family know their wishes otherwise the family will have a difficult decision to make. We all know that people are just lazy...and perhaps intended to opt out but never got around to it.

Did they sell organs?

Not sure about that, but the Welsh were the first to start charging for plastic bags weren't they? Therefore, anyone buying a new liver or whatever will be faced with the extra 5p on top of it.

I think not offering another person the chance of life when you lose nothing is possibly one of the most selfish things a person can do. It should be opt out across the UK.

Strongly oppose this measure. Your body is your body. This shifts the assumption to the state having first dibs on your organs and is quite simply wrong. The act of donation should be a positive one. There should be increased efforts to get people to opt in.

I think not offering another person the chance of life when you lose nothing is possibly one of the most selfish things a person can do. It should be opt out across the UK.

I agree. I've been on the register for years and my family know I'm in favour. If an opt out system is introduced, then those who do not wish to have their organs removed still have the choice.

I sincerely hope not. My body is mine to choose what to do with
It still will be

- not for the Govt to assume it's something that they can just take unless I object.

For the record - I am a donor but if this comes in in the UK I won't be for very long after.

Your options of choice will still be the same. The only difference is that people would have to make an effort if you wanted to not help others rather than make an effort if they wanted to help others.

It's not like the government are taking organs as a tax and giving them to the treasury, hospitals are taking them and trying to save other lives with them.

After recently being made aware of the complexities of organ donorship and transplantation, I'm more for this than ever before.

---------- Post added 02-12-2015 at 11:13 ----------

Strongly oppose this measure. Your body is your body.
That won't change.

This shifts the assumption to the state having first dibs on your organs and is quite simply wrong. The act of donation should be a positive one. There should be increased efforts to get people to opt in.

How will they have "first dibs"? The choices you have will still be the same, the choice is yours and you still get "first dibs".

It still will be

Your options of choice will still be the same.

They are not though. Before I was giving a gift through my own choice.

If it is carried through to the rest of the UK, I will be presumed to be the property of the state after death and I must actively dissent. This change is a dangerous presumption that the state owns us and can decide what to do with us how it sees fit unless people object. We stopped being subjects of the State a long time ago and became citizens.

If it is carried through to the rest of the UK, I will be presumed to be the property of the state after death and I must actively dissent. This change is a dangerous presumption that the state owns us and can decide what to do with us how it sees fit unless people object. We stopped being subjects of the State a long time ago and became citizens.

It's still your own choice, it's just a different way of doing it.

It's not my choice. Assuming you live in Wales that choice has already been made for you. What you have to do is object to that choice.

It's not my choice. Assuming you live in Wales that choice has already been made for you. What you have to do is object to that choice.

Should this policy come to England, you can choose to opt out.

At it stands at the moment you can choose to opt in.

That's your choice.

Ultimately it'll be your family's choice. The vast majority of times they respect what the family want. The donation register is a really good tool to guide the family in their decision, but if the family are too distraught to be able to allow a donation, their wishes would be respected.

The state also makes the presumption that you would want treatment if you are seriously injured and unconscious, in your world they shouldn't be alowed to save you untill you concent. Your body and they obviousely have no right to interfere if you are dying.