Organ Donor Regulations in Wales - Rest of UK?

If this policy became UK-wide...  

33 members have voted

1. 1. If this policy became UK-wide...

• If you're already registered, would you NOT "Opt Out"
    • If you're already registered, would you "Opt Out"
    • If you're not already registered, would you NOT "Opt Out"
    • If you're not already registered, would you "Opt Out"

Plus, they'll wait until you're dead before removing organs.

Don't they normally do that anyway?

I sincerely hope not. My body is mine to choose what to do with - not for the Govt to assume it's something that they can just take unless I object.

For the record - I am a donor but if this comes in in the UK I won't be for very long after.

I would prefere an opt out system that means you opt out of recieveing if you opt out of giving.

A free body disposal service would also be nice, they take what they want and then dispose of the rest.

Edited by betterman

Wonder how long it will take for the first scandal to break where it turns out a hospital has been removing organs from people who have died but not opted out and selling them.

When it comes to organ donations, what the families wishes is what usually ends up happening. The organ donator opting in/opting out is usually the indicator that guides the family to their decision.

Oh Carol......I think you`ve worded that poll a little complicated.

Sorry, I couldn't think quite how to word it!!!!!!! :hihi:

Wonder how long it will take for the first scandal to break where it turns out a hospital has been removing organs from people who have died but not opted out and selling them.

I suspect you'll be waiting till hell freezes over for that. Do you seriously think that happens? :loopy:

Yes. Or pulling life support on a recoverable patient to sell to wealthy donors.

Great news. Hope it happens in England soon. It's such a waste to burn or bury perfectly good organs when there are desperately ill people needing them. If you don't like the idea then just opt out...... simple.

I suspect you'll be waiting till hell freezes over for that. Do you seriously think that happens? :loopy:

Of course there haven't been any scandals covered up in he past have there? Liverpool care pathway, mid Staffs are the two that spring to mind oh and the Alderhay hospital scandal, that was to do with taking organs without permission, I believe Guys and St Thomas's in London did something similar. Might be a bit too tempting for cash strapped hospitals with a few body parts going spare, we will see.

Of course there haven't been any scandals covered up in he past have there? Liverpool care pathway, mid Staffs are the two that spring to mind oh and the Alderhay hospital scandal, that was to do with taking organs without permission, I believe Guys and St Thomas's in London did something similar. Might be a bit too tempting for cash strapped hospitals with a few body parts going spare, we will see.

Did they sell organs?

Did they sell organs?

No but they weren't all crying about being massively overspent then but it does show what some people in positions of power/responsibility can get up to when they don't expect to get found out.

---------- Post added 01-12-2015 at 21:00 ----------

Oh and haven't the NHS been selling people's private medical details to any Tom Dick and Harry leading to companies ringing patients with 'tailored' products relevant to whatever their affliction may be (Data protection act, what's that?).

The organ donation rules have changed in Wales today - they have now moved to an "Opt-Out" system, so if you don't want to be an organ donor, you have to register that wish, instead of registering a donor card....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34964382

Will this system be adopted in the rest of the country in a bid to increase organ donation??

No brainer

And LONG overdue :nod:

No but they weren't all crying about being massively overspent then but it does show what some people in positions of power/responsibility can get up to when they don't expect to get found out.

---------- Post added 01-12-2015 at 21:00 ----------

Oh and haven't the NHS been selling people's private medical details to any Tom Dick and Harry leading to companies ringing patients with 'tailored' products relevant to whatever their affliction may be (Data protection act, what's that?).

Actually the hospitals did exchange tissue for "donations", and the tissue wasn't just used for research some of it was used in the manufacture of drugs. It was an utter disgrace, but something that the lessons has been learned from.

This is completely different from someone actually donating organs to someone else. When this happens there is a clear record of what's happened, it would be impossible to sweep a donation under the carpet.