Anyone been to New York? Times Square ,Central Park?

Coney island is really odd IMO. I've been twice, once in the off season and once in season

Coney Island used to be a bit rough round the edges, but since then has had A LOT of new money ploughed into it. Luna Park dominates everything. The area was badly damaged during Hurricane Sandy, so has had to undergo major redevelopments.

It's now more akin to a glossy Blackpool rather than Cleethorpes. Thrill seekers will love it. But for me, it has lost a bit of it's soul since being done up. There's no more penny arcades :( & independents like Shoot The Freak have also gone. Thankfully Nathans Hotdogs still thrives & the beach is lovely. The wooden walkway along the prom has been restored (you can walk all the way to Brighton Beach). The Subway ride out is great and a visit is not complete without a ride on The Cyclone (old wooden rollercoaster) and a gentle spin on The Wonder Wheel.

I love Coney Island. It's a welcome break from the City. And the New York Aquarium is lovely.

I like good food and wine and a mooch around but nothing really too much.

Will we need a lot of money?

Seems everything is a cost.

But great replys Xx

18-25% is the average cost of tipping in NYC.

If at a bar, give the bartender $1 per order - or tip 20% on a tab.

Get a Zagat guide (theres an app in iOS/Google/Windows stores) or you can get a book) Its like Yelp, but better, for food.. Foursquare is a good reference and free. Zagat use reviews from both the general public and their own and the guide can cover everything from hot dogs to 5 star/3* Michelin dining..

Most places you cant really go wrong.

You'll get some great food and wine. I was the last April and it seemed expensive to when I was there on previous occasions even taking into account the exchange rate.

At least £5 for a craft beer for example.

For NYC pricing thats about the average cost of of a pint or bottle. I mean you can go off the beaten track and find where the locals go, but youre really not going to save that much cash..

Also mixed drinks are rough pours.. So you could get something that was mainly booze with little juice, for the extra price. NYS/NYC doesnt require measured pours.

Coney island is really odd IMO. I've been twice, once in the off season and once in season.

Getting off the subway (although it's gone over ground by then) in the off season, it looked like the start of an episode of SVU or something, except I was the tourist who'd gone to the wrong area and was soon to get stabbed in an alleyway.

Practically deserted, lots of shuttered shops, a closed up slightly dilapidated theme park, graffiti, and a warm September sun incongruously shining down.

A few years later and a few weeks earlier, late Aug I think, in season for the locals, and it's a totally different place. Bustling, all the shops open, loads of people strolling down the promenade eating corndogs or candyfloss, theme park running, kids everywhere, people on the beach. Really strong dichotomy.

Coney Island is such a dump. The Wonder Wheel and the Cyclone is probably the only reason to go visit, but its not worth getting mugged while sight seeing.

As Dudan said take a really comfortable pair of shoes, you'll do a lot of walking and the pavements (sorry sidewalks) feel pretty hard after a few hours.

I would also consider your whole holiday time in New York. There's a lot to cram into 4 days and 7 days in Mexico will feel like you've not even stepped outside the airport.

As already suggested Upper West Side can be a little more settling for European travelers mainly because there are more familiar style coffee shops and restaurants and the prices are reasonable. If you're still intent on Midtown then the Comfort Inn or The Metro Hotel are practically opposite each other on 35th Street and just a block from the Empire State Building.

Don't just fall into the guide book suggestions, try hot food from the local deli near your hotel one night, if sports are your thing see whats going on at Madison Square Garden a few weeks before you go, Brooklyn Botanical Gardens is great in May, Macy's for shopping (Macy's outlet outside of Manhattan if you're looking for cheap Levi's), regular evening events in Rockefeller Plaza, phenomenal breakfasts in local diners and the new World Trade Center area is an experience. There's also places like the Natural History Museum, The Intrepid aircraft carrier air/sea/space museum and Grand Central Station.

More practical advice is book a hotel car for your airport transfers, don't get a limo unless you want to give the impression of being a ditsy 17 year old on their birthday party. Use the subways and get a weeks pass... walking becomes hard work. Tips are usually about 20% to be on the safe side, local chemists are generally Duane Reade or Walgreens, carry some anti-bac hand gel with you, use cash in non-branded stores.

The Rockefeller may be shorter, but it definately has the better views and is in a nicer area of New York.

I agree. The views are far better from the top of the rock

Places we liked too:

Rockaway Beach

Lower East Side Tenement Museum

Staten Island Ferry but don't plan spending too much time at the other side because there is very little in the immediate area although we did visit the 9/11 memorial there, and coincidentally at the same time as a chap who had been badly injured in the attack. Very emotional.

Ellis Island

Central Park

Zabar's deli on upper West Side.

Comfort Diner near Grand Central station

Cycling on Governor's Island on a nice day

Enjoy it!!!!

Edited by I1L2T3

Coney Island used to be a bit rough round the edges, but since then has had A LOT of new money ploughed into it. Luna Park dominates everything. The area was badly damaged during Hurricane Sandy, so has had to undergo major redevelopments.

It's now more akin to a glossy Blackpool rather than Cleethorpes. Thrill seekers will love it. But for me, it has lost a bit of it's soul since being done up. There's no more penny arcades :( & independents like Shoot The Freak have also gone. Thankfully Nathans Hotdogs still thrives & the beach is lovely. The wooden walkway along the prom has been restored (you can walk all the way to Brighton Beach). The Subway ride out is great and a visit is not complete without a ride on The Cyclone (old wooden rollercoaster) and a gentle spin on The Wonder Wheel.

I love Coney Island. It's a welcome break from the City. And the New York Aquarium is lovely.

I have a photo of myself in front of The Cyclone. Didn't go on it though.

I did have food from the famous hotdog place though.

I would advise a walk over Brooklyn bridge too. I think walking across from the Brooklyn side gives a great view of Manhattan. Also the police museum near Fulton Street and the tenement block museum too is well worth a visit. Blimey you will have us booking another trip soon.

Love it love all the replies I really feel like there's something for us now in New York!

So if I was to avoid Coney Island is there anywhere else with the beachy feel that we could visit.

Thanks so much ��

---------- Post added 04-12-2015 at 12:15 ----------

Oh and hells kitchen I loved that is it the actual set?? X

A very good way to explore New York (particularly Manhatten) is to put on a comfortable pair of trainers/shoes, get up early and walk. You will be surprised what you may discover off the beaten track.

Last time I went I walked almost everywhere and would do so again, if I ever go back.

Must do's for me were:

Rockefeller Centre/Top of the Rock

Staten Island Ferry

Central Park

FAO Schwarz (toy store from the movie BIG)

Brooklyn/walk the Brooklyn Bridge

China Town/Little Italy

Ground Zero/One WTC (observation deck is now open)

9/11 Museum

There is a museum dedicated to the 9/11 attacks in the Upper East Side which is run by the only official photographer of the WTC clear up. It's located in an apartment, it's small but many of the families effected/had people killed during the attacks donated items towards this memorial. It's heartbreaking walking around, more so than the 9/11 museum. They even give you chocolate on the way out to "pick you up".

I'd say do Times Square just so you can experience it. It's breathtaking at night, so bight, so busy, it's insane. We walked out of a shop and I actually thought it was daytime due to how bright it was. I wouldn't go again to Times Square, there is nothing there for me but do it at least once.

Food:

Ben's Pizza

Katzs Deli

Brooklyn Diner

Serendipity 3

Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

For Del Frisco and Ruth's Chris, expect to pay a little more than normal for amazing steaks.

Del Frisco's cost me $259 for two.

Not sure what you're talking about but Hell's Kitchen is the area west of Times Square. Roughly 9th and 10th Avenues in the 40s-50s streets.

Love it love all the replies I really feel like there's something for us now in New York!

So if I was to avoid Coney Island is there anywhere else with the beachy feel that we could visit.

Thanks so much ��

---------- Post added 04-12-2015 at 12:15 ----------

Hells Kitchen is a area of NYC - like the Village or the Upper West Side.

It used to be one of the worst parts of NYC, when I was a kid, and now one of the most desirable.

Edit: If youre talking about the TV competition show, thats filmed on the outskirts of Los Angeles, California.

Rockaway Beach - you can get the LIRR from Penn Station (34th & 7th) which is below Madison Sq Garden. The Ramones wrote a song about it, so its gotta be awesome.

If youre into sports, you can go to the Bronx and do the NY Yankees stadium tour. Takes you around the ground and into the team locker rooms. You get to sit in the dugout and everything. Think its about $20 a person and the Subway stops right outside the stadium.

MSG (Madison Square Garden - where the Rangers and Knicks play) do one as well, so you can see the basketball court (or the ice, depends on what team is playing that night) and get a walk around the whole place. I know when concerts are on you might be able to watch the soundcheck as well.

---------- Post added 04-12-2015 at 18:29 ----------

FAO Schwarz (toy store from the movie BIG)

Now closed due to high rents in the area...

For Del Frisco and Ruth's Chris, expect to pay a little more than normal for amazing steaks.

Peter Lugers is the place to go for steak and just steak.

Edited by alternageek

Hells Kitchen is a area of NYC - like the Village or the Upper West Side.

It used to be one of the worst parts of NYC, when I was a kid, and now one of the most desirable.

Rockaway Beach - you can get the LIRR from Penn Station (34th & 7th) which is below Madison Sq Garden. The Ramones wrote a song about it, so its gotta be awesome.

If youre into sports, you can go to the Bronx and do the NY Yankees stadium tour. Takes you around the ground and into the team locker rooms. You get to sit in the dugout and everything. Think its about $20 a person and the Subway stops right outside the stadium.

MSG (Madison Square Garden - where the Rangers and Knicks play) do one as well, so you can see the basketball court (or the ice, depends on what team is playing that night) and get a walk around the whole place. I know when concerts are on you might be able to watch the soundcheck as well.

---------- Post added 04-12-2015 at 18:29 ----------

Now closed due to high rents in the area...

Peter Lugers is the place to go for steak and just steak.

Agreed. Also recommend Tads steaks at Times square.