Anyone been to New York? Times Square ,Central Park?

New York lives up to all expectations ! Yellow cabs and skyscrapers. It unforgettable!

Huh?, the Rockefeller building is 827 ft tall, the Empire State Building is 1250 ft (roof level) tall.

The Rockefeller may be shorter, but it definately has the better views and is in a nicer area of New York.

The natural history museum is supposed to be free but on the day we visited they were asking for 'donations' of 20 dollars per person.

Actually both the Natural History and Met Museums have a "pay what you want" policy so the suggested donation is just that, suggested. You needn't pay anything if you really don't want to (although they're both good value at the asking price in my opinion).

Personally, I would suggest skipping the 7 days in Mexico & concentrating on 11 days in New York instead. 4 days in the Big Apple just isn't long enough. There's so much to see & do. Trust me, you will feel cheated with just a 4 day visit.

I would suggest NOT staying in Times Square. Far too busy & touristy. Think about the Upper West Side instead. I can recommend The Milburn or The Beacon. They are hotels with Suites rather than just rooms, so you get a kitchenette. Upper West Side is full of great eateries, but sometimes it's just nice to bring back your dinner from one of the Grocery Stores & eat in.

You have to do Central Park. Which you can meander in all day. Dont miss Peace Industry Music Group who sing at Bethesda Fountain every day for free.

The Hi-Line is also a must see. Fab new Museum Of American Art has just opened there, too, & then have a mooch round Meatpacking & Greenwich Village while your there. Intrepid Museum is a must. They have one of the Space Shuttles. Get out to the Bronx Botanical Gardens. They are incredible. Bronx Zoo is also one of the best in the World. Coney Island is fabulous & the Aquarium there has lovely exhibits. Museum Of Modern Art is mind blowing, so is the Guggenheim.

There's so much to see & do. Get yourself a Rough Guide & pick out what interests you the most. Savvy up on the Subway because it's the best way, apart from being on foot, to get about. Good luck!

Wow brilliant replies

Thanks so much there's so much to absorb.

I am a real beach person I don't really like shopping at all but it's my partners 40th so it was something different.

I like good food and wine and a mooch around but nothing really too much.

Will we need a lot of money?

Seems everything is a cost.

But great replys Xx

But what do you do?

In Times Square itself, just walk through it.

Broadway is nearby, go see a show. Central park is just up the road, have lunch and a walk around the park. There are museums to visit, shops to shop in, restaurants and bars... And that's probably about it. It's just a city at the end of the day, and it's much like all North America cities (they all look very similar IMO).

---------- Post added 03-12-2015 at 10:27 ----------

The Rockefeller may be shorter, but it definately has the better views and is in a nicer area of New York.

They're less than a mile apart both just of 5th Avenue.

Wow brilliant replies

I am a real beach person I don't really like shopping at all but it's my partners 40th so it was something different.

But great replys Xx

You'll get some great food and wine. I was the last April and it seemed expensive to when I was there on previous occasions even taking into account the exchange rate.

At least £5 for a craft beer for example.

You'll get some great food and wine. I was the last April and it seemed expensive to when I was there on previous occasions even taking into account the exchange rate.

At least £5 for a craft beer for example.

I'd imagine that you'd pay the same in tourist areas of Paris, London, Amsterdam and so on.

Coney island is really odd IMO. I've been twice, once in the off season and once in season.

Getting off the subway (although it's gone over ground by then) in the off season, it looked like the start of an episode of SVU or something, except I was the tourist who'd gone to the wrong area and was soon to get stabbed in an alleyway.

Practically deserted, lots of shuttered shops, a closed up slightly dilapidated theme park, graffiti, and a warm September sun incongruously shining down.

A few years later and a few weeks earlier, late Aug I think, in season for the locals, and it's a totally different place. Bustling, all the shops open, loads of people strolling down the promenade eating corndogs or candyfloss, theme park running, kids everywhere, people on the beach. Really strong dichotomy.

I'd imagine that you'd pay the same in tourist areas of Paris, London, Amsterdam and so on.

Agreed.

It's up there certainly with London prices.

That depends. If you intend eating at high end restaurants and taking cabs everywhere, then yes you can easily spend a small fortune. But there are plenty of free or cheap things to do. $31 buys you 7 days unlimited travel on buses and subways, if you just want to see the Statue of Liberty but not fussed about going up it the Staten Island Ferry will give you a good view of it and is free. Walking the Brooklyn Bridge is a classic thing to do and is free. The Hell's Kitchen area is crammed with restaurants of all nationalities, many of them very cheap and very good. Exploring neighbourhoods costs you nothing, or you could take a guided tour just for the cost of tipping your guide

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/

And that's just off the top of my head, a bit of research and you'll find loads of things that won't break the bank. Enjoy :)

Wow brilliant replies

But great replys Xx

I think you will find it nowhere near as expensive as here, and do take the open top tour bus rides. Just don't stand up if you go upstairs, because of the big yellow traffic lights hanging down and do visit Ellis Island and liberty Island and Staten island with the Staten island free ferry from Battery Park. Also visit ground Zero, just opposite Battery Park.