Anyone been to New York? Times Square ,Central Park?

Hello I'm thinking of going to New York in early may for 4 days then following onto Mexico for 7.

However the carribean I love have been so that's not a issue but I have never been to America.

Can I have some reviews please.

I will be staying in or near Times Square which to be honest I'm not really sure what this is ?

A big road with flashing lights?

What can we do whilst we are there?

Thankyou for reading Xx

Times Square is really busy, imagine Piccadilly Circus on a much bigger scale.

Times Square is really busy, imagine Piccadilly Circus on a much bigger scale.

But what do you do?

What is there to do in New York:

Visit world class museums, world Class art galleries, Broadway plays, visit landmarks, fantastic shopping, awesome restaurants, plenty of bars, visit famous locations from your favourite movies. Maybe you need to purchase a couple of tourist guides?

My wife and I went for 15 nights, and every minute of every day was packed full of things to do.

Your best looking online to get an idea what you want to do as there's loads.

One deffo thing I would say is to go up the statue of liberty, its not expensive but you have to book well in advance, tickets might be on sale now.

Subway is easy and cheap to get around.

A days walking around can be good, start off at central park at say columbus circle and walk down broadway up to battery park and take in the sights.

If its nice get the subway to Coney island, NY's very own Cleethorpes!

Jumping on a tour bus like http://eng.bigbustours.com/newyork/home.html?gclid=CLTYjNCHu8kCFYoBwwod5PINcw is an excellent way to see things and you can just get on and off where you like.

There's loads of museums, the http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york is great.

If you like shopping eg TK max then head off to century 21!

You can pack loads in in 4 days and take comfy shoes.

Edited by xdbx

But what do you do?

well theres food there, loads of overpriced chain restuarants really...

theres plays and musicals, as youre near the theatre district

about 15 minutes walk south, theres shopping with macys, old navy and more.

stay away from the electronics stores that are dead centre in times square though - rip off and lots of fake electronics.

times square is dead centre of the city - all the subway lines run through it.

its gets super busy on the weekend and at night, so protect your pockets!

theres a live webcam, to give you an idea of what its like:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsrobo1

ps: watch when crossing the street! cabbies think they rule the roads and not afraid to run you over.

Take a boat trip on the Hudson river, they go under Brooklyn bridge and stop next to the statue of liberty for photos. There is an old aircraft carrier and submarine which are now a floating museum. The natural history museum is supposed to be free but on the day we visited they were asking for 'donations' of 20 dollars per person. Don't bother going up the empire state building, the Rockefeller centre is higher and offers better views. Ground zero (the world trade centre) was very touching.

We stayed next to central park which was nice for a relaxing evening stroll after a hectic day.

Times Square is the one area of New York I don't like. Bright, noisy, endless hassle from idiots dressed as cartoon characters, stink of cheap greasy food. Horrible. It's worth walking through just to see it but I'd hate to stay there. If you haven't already booked your hotel you might want to consider another area, I've always stayed on the Upper West Side and would recommend it but if I go again I might book somewhere near Union Square.

Lots of ideas for things to do here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York_City_New_York.html

What is there to do in New York:

Visit world class museums, world Class art galleries, Broadway plays, visit landmarks, fantastic shopping, awesome restaurants, plenty of bars, visit famous locations from your favourite movies. Maybe you need to purchase a couple of tourist guides?

My wife and I went for 15 nights, and every minute of every day was packed full of things to do.

About the same as my wife and I found. Brilliant, you will not be bored.

Hello I'm thinking of going to New York in early may for 4 days then following onto Mexico for 7.

However the carribean I love have been so that's not a issue but I have never been to America.

Can I have some reviews please.

I will be staying in or near Times Square which to be honest I'm not really sure what this is ?

A big road with flashing lights?

What can we do whilst we are there?

Thankyou for reading Xx

if you want to see times square enter times square webcam in you searh engine. there are several cameras active. new york is magical lots to see and do. if you are having 4 days then you really need to do some web visiting to sort out what you can fit in.[ p.s. can I stow away in your suitcase?]

Take a boat trip on the Hudson river, they go under Brooklyn bridge and stop next to the statue of liberty for photos. There is an old aircraft carrier and submarine which are now a floating museum. The natural history museum is supposed to be free but on the day we visited they were asking for 'donations' of 20 dollars per person. Don't bother going up the empire state building, the Rockefeller centre is higher and offers better views. Ground zero (the world trade centre) was very touching.

We stayed next to central park which was nice for a relaxing evening stroll after a hectic day.

Huh?, the Rockefeller building is 827 ft tall, the Empire State Building is 1250 ft (roof level) tall.

Edited by SnailyBoy