Sign in to follow this  

Does Sheffield still incinerate it's rubbish?

Just wondering after watching dispatches last night, well I say watching it - I spent most of the programme hiding behind my cushion. Maybe I'm naive, but I just didn't realise people were so vile....

Have you not seen the massive incinerator at Wybourn

Just wondering after watching dispatches last night, well I say watching it - I spent most of the programme hiding behind my cushion. Maybe I'm naive, but I just didn't realise people were so vile....

vile? I didn't see the programme... wanna tell me why ppl are so vile?

Criminals setting up companies and literally emptying their lorries on streets. Unbelievable disregard for people's land and housing nearby, let alone the environment. They were setting fire to huge volumes of lethal rubbish that polluted rivers nearby.

It really haunted me.

I know Sheffield used to incinerate 90% of it's rubbish and it went to heat up the colleges and council buildings, but I heard they didn't do that anymore, so I was just wondering if they still incinerated at all.

Have you not seen the massive incinerator at Wybourn

No I haven't but i presume it's the one I was referring to. That's why I was wondering if it's still in operation

As far as I'm aware the Bernard Road Incinerator is providing the heating to my block of flats at this moment

As far as I'm aware the Bernard Road Incinerator is providing the heating to my block of flats at this moment

That's cool - it seems very eco-friendly to do this.

Or have I missed something?? And why isn't this being done all over the country instead of filling up landfills? It just seems so obvious to me...

I know Sheffield used to incinerate 90% of it's rubbish and it went to heat up the colleges and council buildings, but I heard they didn't do that anymore, so I was just wondering if they still incinerated at all.

Yep, they still do. Seeing as that new incinerator is costing so much money to build (and the old one wasted so much money in repair bills), they're going to have to recover their investment somehow.

I was bitching about this very point a while back on this thread

No, it re-houses them.

No, it re-houses them.

:D

:clap:

And this month's Post of the Month award goes to davebott :)

That's cool - it seems very eco-friendly to do this.

Or have I missed something?? And why isn't this being done all over the country instead of filling up landfills? It just seems so obvious to me...

I'd argue that heating buildings in the city is little benefit compared to the poisonous chemicals being blown out of the incinerator :(

oh, I thought I might have missed something! Silly me, I presumed that something like an incinerator would be built to top spec to contain dangerous chemicals and somehow make them all disappear....

Grrr.........

Why can't these companies go the whole way and do it right?