Tv repair worth it?

Telling people on a forum who you don't know to take apart a TV and fix it is stupid. You don't know the skill set of the person, you don't know if they are electrically safe they probably don't even know what a capacitor does!
The expression you missed completely is "as a matter of general principle": I did not tell people to "take apart a TV and fix it", I suggested that people with malfunctioning electronics inform themselves about how to repair it, because it's not that complicated a task.

Basically, the same advice and meaning as your last sentence :roll:

How do you do a total reset? Is that easy enough to do for the simple minded? :D

Won`t the tv set need to be on to do the reset (which at the moment you cannot do). On my tv, the "reset to factory settings" is done via the remote with the tv turned on.

You say no one is dumb enough to do it with it turned on but I'll put money on the fact there is plenty of people dumb enough to do just that.

Also the main dc filter cap will hold charge for a wee while and may not kill a fit adult but is going to hurt.

Telling people on a forum who you don't know to take apart a TV and fix it is stupid. You don't know the skill set of the person, you don't know if they are electrically safe they probably don't even know what a capacitor does!

My advice would be to spend time learning first before jumping into things, as in for an hobby or to make ends meet not to fix your TV that you know doubt want fixing asap

There are people that dump expensive large electronic items because the fuse has blown.

---------- Post added 01-12-2015 at 10:34 ----------

Done another search on bush 40" tv flashing light problem and keep getting many answers saying these have a known problem with the power supply and there are several people who have managed to fix it. The parts are not expensive but some knowledge and experience would be important to understand and fix these matters, If you don't have a solder iron and volt/ohm meter cap tester you better leave it to someone who does.

---------- Post added 01-12-2015 at 11:03 ----------

Ebay bush power supply board about £20 to £30

yes thank you, I don't have any knowledge or experience, so may either get it repaired by someone if it is not too expensive or simply buy a new one (but NOT bush).

Try to not throw it away unless someone experienced acknowledged it is toast.

We got so much waste on this world, lets try to reduce that.

Caps get blamed for everything and its very rarely the cause

So are you denying the many reports of "appliance will not come out of standby" being fixed by replacing capacitors?

Since reading up on how common capacitor failure was I have made a point of checking things I own that have been malfunctioning or died completely.

I repaired two routers that were unstable due to capacitor ageing and had several PSUs fail, two of which the capacitors exploded in. I also checked the PSUs of any old second-hand PCs I still had lying around and many of those had bulging/leaking caps, which was good to find BEFORE they blew and potentially take the motheboard with them.

Two of my PSUs were silently recalled by the manufacturer due to defective capacitors and I only learnt about that after Googling about the model number when one of them failed.

So in my experience capacitors are the most common fault, its just the manufacturers stay quiet about it as they would rather you buy a new device than fix it.

Heck, the nature of electrolytic capacitors is they do dry out over time, especially when running in a hot environment. In a PSU they are usually crammed next to a heatsink or two. So why you would think this is not a common problem I do not know.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Well I won't throw it away unless I have to as it would be a shame not to fix it. It would still be a nice TV. Too many people do give up too easily and discard them just to get a new one. I rang a repair shop down Queens Road who suggested it's fixable, just 20 quid up front first to diagnose the problem, but that comes off overall price to fix. So I'll probably end up taking it there or another similar repair shop.

Thanks for all your help, views and advice guys :)