All Season Tyres discussion thread

As it has been almost 5 years since this thread was started, have there been any improvements to the 'all weather' tyres? The only 'recent' one I was aware of in an advertising sense were Michelin. Has anyone carried out any reviews lately?

falken all season tyres on a Subaru Legacy Outback. Coped with everything that's been chucked our way this winter so far

As it has been almost 5 years since this thread was started, have there been any improvements to the 'all weather' tyres? The only 'recent' one I was aware of in an advertising sense were Michelin. Has anyone carried out any reviews lately?

If you search online, Auto Express (or Auto Bild, which I presume is a sister publication) seem to do tests every year. From memory, Goodyear, Vredstein and one other (can't remember for certain, maybe Hankook) always came out on top, year after year. I'm a bit out of date, though, as its 3 or 4 years since I researched all weather tyres.

In passing, I fitted Goodyears about 5 years ago, and found them a vast improvement over standard summer tyres.

There's also a test online comparing 4WD with summer tyres against 2WD with winter tyres. Very educational for those who think having 4WD is the be all and end all of winter driving.

Edit. Oops, just realised that I'd already posted in this thread (post #58), in more detail.

Should be post # fifty eight, in case it doesn't display properly.

Edited by Eater Sundae

Last week I was in Iceland, snow and ice everywhere including the main roads. There's a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted to all vehicles. They drive as if the roads were dry, very impressive to see.

Lots of improvement to all season tyres in last few years, as well as more availability in sizes.

Mainly premium and mid range brands doing all season options, Michelin, Nokian, Goodyear, Maxxis, Vrdestein, Apollo etc

All season tyre will always be a compromise compared to a summer and a winter set and don’t last as long as they have to work in a huge range of temperatures.

Still can't get them in the size I need.

I read a few reviews and went with the tyre that showed the best "wet" performance and second best dry performance, but it's still a summer tyre.

Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 - if anyone cares.

---------- Post added 04-11-2018 at 09:33 ----------

Last week I was in Iceland, snow and ice everywhere including the main roads. There's a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted to all vehicles. They drive as if the roads were dry, very impressive to see.

Did you drive? The locals were overtaking me on white roads when I was doing 50 mph... I guess they had a much better understanding of the level of grip available than I did.

Edited by Cyclone

Did you drive? The locals were overtaking me on white roads when I was doing 50 mph... I guess they had a much better understanding of the level of grip available than I did.

No, I didn't drive. I used the local minibus tours to get around for the few days there.

The driver did say that any accidents in the snow/ice tend to be tourists in hire cars trying to go at the same speed as the locals.

Legal requirement in Germany too.

I've just bought a full set of Dunlop WinterSport5 came out high in Autobild tests. Very good price from alltyres365 website, delivered from Germany. Cyclone, they might have yours as all Germans need winter tyres for any car.

This year I'm getting them put on a spare set of wheels I've bought, otherwise spend £40 in winter putting them on £40 in spring taking them off. I can change the wheels myself if and when needed.

Nope, none available.

Neither for front nor back in either of the two sizes that fit.

Edited by Cyclone

31 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Nope, none available.

Neither for front nor back in either of the two sizes that fit.

Wow must be odd ones.

Since I was getting them on new spare wheels I went down a rim size and a width.  Had more options. Obviously have to keep to same radius.

On 24/01/2018 at 10:48, SnailyBoy said:

Just got back from Ukraine, same there, driving down side roads that are completely compacted snow as if there was no snow there. These are not fancy cars with traction control etc either. When you have proper snow every winter you get used to driving on it and knowing what winter tyres are like.