All Season Tyres discussion thread

The thing is do you go for a no-name all season tyre that might be crap in all weathers or a known branded tyre thats good in some but crap in others??

Or a good name with good all round all weather grip.

I have a similar issue. I was hoping to get those Michelin cross climates as my next tyres but they don't seem to do them in my tyre size. Perhaps the ultra low profile tyres aren't suitable for all season tyres for some reason?

The 2 in my link above are Dunlop and Vredestein

I don't think they're "no-names"

There's this company, but its a delivered tyre, not fitted. This tyre is a good price, but how noisy it will be is anyone's guess. The company is on our system and we bought some tyres from them last year. I'm sure they are still on the van.

http://www.eco-tyre.co.uk/index.php/type/new/winter-tyres/minerva-emizero-4s-225-40-r18-92w-xl-m-s-all-weather

The one in that link was /\

They're both 225, not 255.

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 13:50 ----------

There's this company, but its a delivered tyre, not fitted. This tyre is a good price, but how noisy it will be is anyone's guess. The company is on our system and we bought some tyres from them last year. I'm sure they are still on the van.

http://www.eco-tyre.co.uk/index.php/type/new/winter-tyres/minerva-emizero-4s-225-40-r18-92w-xl-m-s-all-weather

Also 225, not 255

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 13:51 ----------

So my options at the moment seem to be a winter tyre on the rear, or a regular tyre.

The fronts (different size) I could fit an all season tyre to, but they don't actually need changing at the moment.

They're both 225, not 255.

That what comes of not reading the google returns properly .. oops

I kept finding the 225's myself. As soon as I put -225 into the search it came back with nothing :-(

I kept finding the 225's myself. As soon as I put -225 into the search it came back with nothing :-(

Would a different profile fit?

Tried them, they don't have any.

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 14:13 ----------

Would a different profile fit?

Profile yes, width I doubt.

But changing the profile alters the rolling radius and makes your speedo wrong...

Tried them, they don't have any.

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 14:13 ----------

Profile yes, width I doubt.

But changing the profile alters the rolling radius and makes your speedo wrong...

I know it'll change the speedo accuracy..depends what you think is more important I suppose.. :) do you have a sat nav that shows your speed?

Google suggests that they don't come in the required size.

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 11:08 ----------

Yeah, that's why I'm struggling.

I found 255/40, but only in 20"... I can find 255 R18, but not in the correct profile.

I buy all my tyres from Ears Motorsport in Macclesfield. If the tyres exist they will have them. I find it worth the trip over to get tyres fitted as it still works out far cheaper than buying locally.

There are all weather tyres but I wouldn't fit them. No rubber will work in all temperatures. All weathers neither work well in summer or winter. If you need 255/40s I assume you have a car to drive and not a taxi. Why make it so it handles and produces tyre noise like a Transit Van?

Edited by exxon

No "All Season" listed. Summer or Winter only.

The dialema is that Winter tyres can be quite poor in the summer, which is when I drive the most. But summer tyres can be entirely lethal in the winter. For example, I was spinning up in 3rd gear at 70mph yesterday, which is not ideal. Admittedly the tyres need changing, but it was only damp, and not even cold >10C...

So I'd like some tyres that won't kill me in the winter, but will still be effective in the summer. And I don't really want to store 4 extra tyres in my cellar, although I suppose I could (but I don't intend to keep this car for more than another 6 months tops!).

Perhaps that answers it, just get winter tyres and let whoever buys it next worry about the summer.

Edited by Cyclone