Help getting back into work

Hello. I regularly read threads on this forum but this is my first post. I am a woman in my late twenties. I have A Levels and an undergraduate degree and I have also had a mental illness for over a decade. Despite having thrown myself into employment throughout university and upon graduating, I left my previous role in June 2014 to receive therapy and work on recovery. I have taken huge steps towards this but I have lost so much confidence in the process that I'm struggling to get back into work or training. I don't receive job seekers allowance and I live with my partner. It is not that I'm in desperate need of an income, just a purpose in life and something to work towards. I don't have enough money to go to college. Does any body have any ideas? I've tried volunteering but found the lack of hours/structure/purpose really difficult.

Thanks you in advance.

I think having a purpose in life is a very individual thing and only something that you can decide upon. What are you interested in? Do you have a passion for something - either what you are doing now or that you would like to be doing?

When I gave up work some years ago - I decided to work with what I was passionate about - but I wasn't sure what. After some weeks I found that buying and selling books was never boring - so I took the plunge to set up my own business. Unfortunately it doesn't pay well - but then you are not in desperate need for an income! I'm not saying YOU should become self-employed - but dipping your toe in the water and trying things out - could lead to a career you would want. Hope this helps.

Thank you for replying. I'm interested in people. I like helping and looking after people. I've worked in kitchens before, just on cold dishes, deserts and pot washing, waitressing etc and i really enjoy cooking but im so scared of going into a job with so many hours and having to be so flexible after being out of work for so long. I feel like imight not be able to cope. I also like vintage items and have thought about setting up my own business but I'm not a leader and prefer to follow orders and I find the idea of working for myself so daunting. Plus, I don't have any savings, we get by well enough month to month but I don't really have any spare cash to put into something.

OK don't take this the wrong way - but if you re-read your post you have already put barriers in the way of doing the things you would like to do. What you need to work on is how to get what you want.

Now I'm a bookseller - so I am going to recommend a book - but don't worry I don't have a copy for sale so I am not just trying to make a sale! The book is called Wishcraft and is by Barbara Sher (ISBN 0345465180) - I've just checked and there are copies on Ebay for around £10 including postage. Although written from a US point of view - I found it really good for crystallising thinking and coming up with a definite plan of action -and it includes a chapter on turning fears and negative feelings into positives.

Another option would be to get some careers advice - as a graduate you should still be eligible to see someone at your university - or if that is too far, see if Hallam or the Uni have a reciprocal arrangement with yours. Alternatively I think Sheffield College still offer a service to adults whether or not they are students.

Again I hope all this helps - you have already taking the first step to your new purpose in life by posting here!

what about taking up one of the alternative therapies, reflexology, bach flower remedy, that sort of thing, then as a therapist, can help folks, and it might indeed help your own health issue? just a thought.

Thank you Stallanbooks! I think you're right - I do tend to create my own barriers. I'm my own worst enemy but it mainly comes from a lack of confidence. I shall definitely buy the book tonight and I'll have a look into my university's alumni services.

Smithy - thank you. I've never actually tried any alternative therapies but I wouldn't rule it out. Thank you for your reply so much

Talking about books, years ago I came across a book called "feel the fear but do it anyway" by Susan Jeffers. Basically about feeling scared but not letting the fear stop you from doing what you want to do, I found it really useful during quite a miserable period of my life.

I wouldn't rule volunteering out, but go for an organisation that can offer structured training and have reasonable expectations of you, otherwise it's difficult to motivate yourself to bother.

Good luck..

Thank you. I went to the library this morning to look for these books but they didn't have them so I'm going to order them online today. I like reading anyway so they are worth a go. Does anybody have any recommendations of organisations that could provide some structured volunteering, perhaps where I could go in most days?

Thank you. I went to the library this morning to look for these books but they didn't have them so I'm going to order them online today. I like reading anyway so they are worth a go. Does anybody have any recommendations of organisations that could provide some structured volunteering, perhaps where I could go in most days?

The Samaritans, perhaps?

Food banks and libraries run by community groups are always in need of volunteers. Could be just the thing to build a little self-esteem and get back into the swing of things.

If you decide you want to go down the self-employed route, and you studied in Sheffield, Hallam offer support to graduates up to five years after leaving. I would imagine Sheffield University have something similar in place.

Hi - I think you may have sent me a message - The Street Caffe - but I don't seem to be able to reply. I'd love to meet you and have a chat about you working on our coffee van.