What makes you happy in Sheffield?

Being able to walk to the park, the shops, the sports centre and the library. If I want to go further, the tram is nearby, or by car it's just a few minutes drive into lovely countryside.

The parks, the views, the accessibility of the city centre and the countryside, the theatres, the Showroom, the stone houses in some of the suburbs, and our lovely back garden - the Peak District.

I have traveled the world over and the more I have traveled the better I realise Sheffield is.

Quite...looking forward to getting back at Christmas. There is not one thing that you can point to, I always feel that Sheffield is just one of the calmest / peaceful Cities I've ever lived in.

I understand this is SHEFFIELD Forum but where have you been to come to this conclusion, Syria ?

I love Sheffield but I'm sure there are other City's around the world which are MUCH better than ours.

Where do you start. New York is too busy, as is London and Tokyo Las Vegas is a bit too sleazy. Honolulu is not as friendly. New Orleans is too rip off. Bangcock is too crowded. India's roads are too busy as are Cairo's roads. Rio de Janeiro is not safe. Miami is too pacey. The places I liked second best are Singapore Hong Kong and Darwin although Singapore and The Northern Territory of Australia is too hot to stay too long as is Queensland.

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 10:10 ----------

Quite...looking forward to getting back at Christmas. There is not one thing that you can point to, I always feel that Sheffield is just one of the calmest / peaceful Cities I've ever lived in.

I think this really sums it up it is so calm and friendly.

Edited by spilldig

Hey I'm a third year Graphic Design student at Hallam and I just wanted to know from people living in and around Sheffield, What is it about Sheffield that makes you happy & what makes you smile on your day to day commute to work/school etc?

The M1 out of the bloody place!

because it's home!

always a lovely moment when I've been away, the first M1 signs for Sheffield

used to be a tear-in-eye moment when I first caught sight of the old sadly missed cooling towers alongside Tinsley viaduct

also, I love the fact you can strike up a conversation with anyone, anywhere & they don't instantly call security!

It isn't home for me, but I have a fairly extensive European travelling past and Sheffield is a great place to call home.

It isn't the prettiest city or the most interesting, but that doesn't factor into it when you consider being happy to call it home. What factors into it then is, in order:

Nice people

Reasonably good connectivity

Open green spaces

Relatively cheap housing

Decent shopping experience

Good leisure facilities

The only place that came close for me is Courchevel in the French Alps, I lived there and loved it but I was very happy to come back!

Yeah its got parks and the peaks and lovely buildings and great music History but I always say the people! Compare the Tram to the tube and you'll see what I mean.

also, I love the fact you can strike up a conversation with anyone, anywhere & they don't instantly call security!

That's cos it's the biggest village innit :D

I like the small scale of buildings in the city (compared to Manchester/Leeds). I like that it feels small, even though it's pretty big. I like that people say thank you to bus drivers.

Been thinking now for about 40 mins and there is naff all that makes me happy

In Sheffield it's a run down dump

Sheffield People, (take Alcoblog for instance)

Humour, (Ditto)

Friendliness,

Good Health Services,

"Green Veins" running into the city,

Sheffield Forum,

Cosmopolitanism(not the magazine)

Being able to call it Home.:love:

---------- Post added 28-11-2015 at 20:21 ----------

I like the small scale of buildings in the city (compared to Manchester/Leeds). I like that it feels small, even though it's pretty big. I like that people say thank you to bus drivers.

Nothing like a few hills to make you mind your manners and appreciate the bus drivers;) not to mention that in this village there is always someone who knows your Mum.

Edited by Margarita Ma
Added info.