Wooden Building at Ecclesall Church

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the history of what is now Monument Coffee next to Ecclesall Church.

I can't post a link but if you Google 'Monument Coffee' there is a picture of the building

I know it was an antiques shop and a garden centre before that but I wonder if anyone could shed any light on its earlier history

Many thanks!

In the 1960's it was where the stonemasons worked preparing headstones and other grave monuments.

Here is a link to a 1980s photo on the picturesheffield.com site. The business was founded in the 1890s by Walter Corker (1848-1924) who at that time was also the sexton and verger at the church.

And more recently it was a small garden centre then an antiques business.

Here is a link to a 1980s photo on the picturesheffield.com site. The business was founded in the 1890s by Walter Corker (1848-1924) who at that time was also the sexton and verger at the church.

If I remember rightly, Frank E Corker was the 'gaffer' in the late 50's Phil, presumably son of Walter.

Yes, Frank E. Corker (1890-1973) was Walter's third son, the others being Waltr jnr., Robert and Arthur. The 1911 census return shows them all in the business, the three youngest still at home - see here. Walter jnr. was married and living nearby in Bents Road. :)

Edited by hillsbro

Thanks for your responses!

If anyone else knows anything more feel free to add!

*edit* Although you've all been pretty comprehensive so there's probably not much more to add!

Edited by Joe1066