What do you buy a newborn?

I would get her something little and inexpensive, so that everybody can coo when it's opened (newborn toy or item of clothing etc) and then give two other things:

1) A home made cheque book for mummy, with cheques for babysitting sessions so she can get out of the house without her daughter for whatever reason, home made meals that she doesn't have to cook herself when she needs help, little treats for mummy like a massage (which will involve one of the sitting sessions probably too) and similar, and

2) Some money in a bank account invested to buy an 'experience' present later on (dancing lessons, trips out to a zoo, football club subscriptions, whatever), to which you can add a little more at every birthday and Christmas in future.

Most first children have way too much 'stuff', including clothes that they will have grown out of within 3 months and more toys than will fit in any bedroom. They genuinely do not need any more of them.

Good family members and friends who will help through the stress of trying to do it all perfectly every time, and who will feed them when they need to be fed, take them places they may need to go, hug them when they're struggling and be there when needed are worth their weight in gold.

I would get her something little and inexpensive, so that everybody can coo when it's opened (newborn toy or item of clothing etc) and then give two other things:

1) A home made cheque book for mummy, with cheques for babysitting sessions so she can get out of the house without her daughter for whatever reason, home made meals that she doesn't have to cook herself when she needs help, little treats for mummy like a massage (which will involve one of the sitting sessions probably too) and similar, and

2) Some money in a bank account invested to buy an 'experience' present later on (dancing lessons, trips out to a zoo, football club subscriptions, whatever), to which you can add a little more at every birthday and Christmas in future.

Most first children have way too much 'stuff', including clothes that they will have grown out of within 3 months and more toys than will fit in any bedroom. They genuinely do not need any more of them.

Good family members and friends who will help through the stress of trying to do it all perfectly every time, and who will feed them when they need to be fed, take them places they may need to go, hug them when they're struggling and be there when needed are worth their weight in gold.

Medusa, can we become friends before my baby is born as I think I need you in my life! :D

Hmm, that possibly sounded patronising. it wasn't it was meant as a compliment!

Having recently had our first great grand child we were in a similar dilemma but we came up with a digital photo frame so all photos can be stored and then they will have his life in pictures.

What about a voucher for a photo shoot for the three of them so they can get some nice professional photos as a keepsake? And they'll probably give you a copy too :)

If they are going to use disposable, nappies are always welcome.

Medusa, can we become friends before my baby is born as I think I need you in my life! :D

Hmm, that possibly sounded patronising. it wasn't it was meant as a compliment!

Thank you :)

It is true- I am the person who turns up with fresh home made cake the day after your baby is born, snuggles the babe while you go and have a shower and then makes tea and cake for all of your family when they visit to coo.

It's the nearest I will ever get to having my own babies- my sister did her very best to share her babies with me so I learned very early on that breastfeeding ladies need a big mug of tea a glass of water when you're doing polite cups for everybody else, and I know how to sing and stroke newborns to sleep when mummy is getting stressed, having done it for all of my friends :)

How about a 'keeping' something? A silver money box, photo frame, bracelet.

If you want to consider toys, I would recommend Ewan the Dream Sheep. Useful for loooong time :)

How about £50 worth of premium bonds ?

They'll always be worth £50, unlike the tat that you may be tempted to buy, and there's always the chance of a win.

How about Premium Bonds .

sorry must have posted at similar time to above poster (great minds think alike)

Edited by Gamston
explanation

How about £50 worth of premium bonds ?

They'll always be worth £50, unlike the tat that you may be tempted to buy, and there's always the chance of a win.

I think £100 is the minimum. Happy to be corrected if im wrong though