What do you buy a newborn?

I'm due to have my first niece in December and she'll be here for Christmas. Now, I ain't gonna spoil her because I'm sure every member of the family will be buying clothes, toys, blah blah. The parents are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard when you ask them what you should buy "I dunno, get what you want" because they know she won't need anything else.

What do newborns need exactly? She has more clothes than necessary for a newborn and enough teddies. I was thinking of maybe getting her a toy, but again, what toy is fit for a newborn? Also, I was thinking of getting her some books, but is that pointless for a potato with eyes? I've already told them my Christmas present to them can be babysitting once a month :hihi: but I don't think I realise what I've got myself into.

Any ideas would be a huge help!!

Money, either in a bank account or a savings thing for when she is 18 /21. Trust me, I've just had a baby myself!

Did have to laugh at the 'potato with eyes' comment!

How about getting something for 'later' like maybe a nice coat age 9-12 months ?

The offer to baby sit is the greatest present any new mum and dad can receive! I remember my little ones first christmas - I might as well just bought her some boxes and wrapping paper, because that was all she played with!

...a potato with eyes...

:hihi: Very good.

I'd get them one of these.

New babies get so much useless crap and clutter as gifts when they first emerge when, frankly, all they do for a good long time is scream and produce noxious liquids from various orifices.

I'd wait until the parents have decided what they're going to use to soak up whatever the baby chucks up and spurts out, and then get them a shed load of that. A subscription to the nappy shop, or something? Something practical and useful, instead of the kid's thirtieth stuffed toy.

Nappies, nappies and more nappies!! A few tubs of nappy cream and away you go. We bought these for our first grandson, and still do (he is only two months old!) And mum and dad are so grateful.

All the best for your new family member!!

:):):)

I'm having my first child in May and I'd second all the comments on here really. A newborn needs little more than love and warmth and a nice blanket to be sick in. The idea of some money into a trust fund is a good one. Or as one of my friends lamented, she had enough newborn outfits to clothe half of Sheffield but nothing for when she was 6 months old.

I'm having my first child in May and I'd second all the comments on here really. A newborn needs little more than love and warmth and a nice blanket to be sick in. The idea of some money into a trust fund is a good one. Or as one of my friends lamented, she had enough newborn outfits to clothe half of Sheffield but nothing for when she was 6 months old.

The more thoughtful of my friends bought us baby clothes for 6 months plus.

The more thoughtful of my friends bought us baby clothes for 6 months plus.

I'm one of those friends now! But when she had her first it was the first of any of my own friendship group to have babies so I was a little green :)

How about getting something for 'later' like maybe a nice coat age 9-12 months ?

^^ this ^^

all of my friends were grateful for later items.. ive gone as far as giving clothes up to 24 months.

Newborns and under 6 months clothing dont get a lot of repeat use, but the older stuff will.

Also try to go as gender neutral as possible, so your friends can reuse them when they have another little one.

if you want to give something to help with the newborn stage, try making a casserole or some thing they can freeze and reheat when they arent awake enough to cook, but starving.

A condenser drier for her mum, if she hasn't got one yet.

You/she can thank me later ;)

a set of coins, freshly minted this year and mounted in a case as a momento