Wanted gold or chocolate lab

Wanted a gold or chocolate lab to train for my son guide dog for the deaf ...thanks for l@@king

Chocolate lab ? ? Are you sure ? Smaller or medium sized dogs are usually easy to train as hearing assist dogs . As an owner of a choc lab they are not the easiest to train very hi energy . If you do want a lab go for a lab retriever mix .

Make sure the parents are both hip and elbow scored too

All the best I'm sure you will find the right dog .

Pocket - why are you wanting a guide dog for a deaf person? Guide dogs are for blind and partially sighted people. Also, why are you providing the dog to be trained yourself? According to the Hearing Dogs for Deaf People they have their own breeding scheme. As has been said, Labradors have particular genetic problems and must be bred carefully, paying attention to the relevant health checks in both dam and sire. They are a real handful when young, particularly chocolate ones. Added to this, if you purchased a puppy it could well not be suitable for the job - indeed, Hearing Dogs might not accept it for training. Contact the charity and discuss this further before you go out and buy a puppy.

Edited by ccit

Hi he also full time wheelchair user and deaf the last dog we had i trained... Why go to charity when i can do it my self...im not going in to thing on a open forum

Why not go to a charity? After all, that is what they are there for. Not all dogs are suitable for training for a job with someone who has disabilities and it would be a shame if you bought one and the temperament wasn't right. However, if this is what you want to do then it is really important to follow the advice as above i.e. make sure that the dam and sire are both hip and elbow scored and are up to date with their eye tests for Progressive Retinal Atrophy. Also check out the temperament of the bitch and dog. Not sure that a working type would be a good purchase. Expect to pay at least £600 for a good pup with all the tests and papers completed. The Labrador breed clubs would be a good place to start looking because their members usually try to improve the breed and will have done all they can to ensure their pups are sound. The clubs can be found on the Internet.

Edited by ccit

Try Canine Partners, I'm going through the process for a support dog now x

There's some on gumtree £350

Or some chocolate ones for £500

Hi he also full time wheelchair user and deaf the last dog we had i trained... Why go to charity when i can do it my self...im not going in to thing on a open forum

Good for you! and why not train it yourself :thumbsup: well done

I would recommend a black lab though! they are much more docile than the chocolate ones.

Good for you! and why not train it yourself :thumbsup: well done

I would recommend a black lab though! they are much more docile than the chocolate ones.

I would have said what a load of nonsense a few years ago . But now as a proud owner of a lovely intelligent choc lab I would have to say oh yes they are a bit :loopy: My yellow 1 year old lab is much calmer. Wouldn't swap my choc for the world but as an assist dog :hihi: nooooo