How many of you..

Hello Forum,

I am just wondering if I can get a few answers to the following question:

How many of you would advance from being a hobby photographer to becoming a Professional Photographer?

I am thinking about advancing my skills from an amateur photographer to a Professional Photographer in March 2016 after completing my college course. I have been actively seeking full time employment now for months and have had absolutely no luck. So, I am toying with the idea at the moment of going self employed with photography.

Any help and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance,

Pip

Hello Forum,

I am just wondering if I can get a few answers to the following question:

How many of you would advance from being a hobby photographer to becoming a Professional Photographer?

I am thinking about advancing my skills from an amateur photographer to a Professional Photographer in March 2016 after completing my college course. I have been actively seeking full time employment now for months and have had absolutely no luck. So, I am toying with the idea at the moment of going self employed with photography.

Any help and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance,

Pip

Hi,

what sort of photography you think doing?

Hello Andy,

I am thinking of either advertising, portrait and maybe the odd wedding. There seems to be a lot of wedding photographers already out there and think it would be tricky for someone just starting out to get any work in that area. Thanks

Pip

these days too many "wedding photographers" who buys dslr camera with kit lens and think they photographers :)

think about costs involved to get proper gear for wedding photography (2 or even 3 full frame cameras, several lenses, flashes, insurance and more)

for portrait photography you need a lot less, BUT you may need to have a studio (so it will be rent every month) Also you will need studio lights. But you only need one camera and one/two lenses (to start off) :)

I am currently contacting car showrooms, businesses in and around Sheffield to see if I can take photographs of their products, just to see if I can capture a different type of image/mood for that product. Then I send one image back to the company and let them judge the image. I am happy with the results of the images that I take, but still think they need work for me to start classing myself as a professional. Which, yes, I bought a DSLR, but by no means do I think that I can take photographs to a professional standard "YET".

As for the studio, renting is always an option and I am contacting several photography studios around SHEFFIELD, to see if I can get a feel for the lighting setup. So, I take most of my portrait shots, in the great outdoors, weather permitting. What you have written is certainly food for thought. I would like to spend some time with a professional photographer on a day shoot, or even a wedding, just to see how they adapt to the individual tastes.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Pip,

you may not get much response from the car dealerships as most of the major dealerships will be contracted to a specific agency, which is normally exclusively tied into their advertising contracts.

If you were to go down this route maybe focus on the smaller independents.

Also you'll find dealerships prefer a set of standard images, that fits in with their national image, uniformity is key to them presenting a constant brand image across the board.

Take a look at the dealership websites consistently is key to them.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply friend, I am just testing the water where the car dealers are concerned, but I appreciate your reply and input. Yes, the dealerships are adamant that the agencies deal with all their photography work, the independent car dealer may be the way to go. I may spend some time messaging one or two of the smaller companies to see if they would be interested.

I have got to the point, where my job hunting is getting me down and I need to do something with my time rather than sit on a couch, or going round the jobcentres/agencies to see what they can offer me. Which seems to be very, very little.

Not sure if photography is the right way to go, but I really do have a passion for those near perfect images, and to improve my craft/art.

Hi Pip

As the old saying goes, you never know unless you try. The photography industry is a saturated market, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for new busnesses, you just have to start out cheap build up a portfolio and then go from there. Like Andy says you need to think about where you can get paid work that fits within your current skills and photography kit. Keep it cheap target the independents, hire a studio, all low cost options.

Hello GlassBox, I have just checked out your portfolio (website) it all looks very impressive. The commercial sector would be what I find most interesting, Do you find it hard to get commercial work, or is there certain routes that you have to take i.e. tenders etc.

I would love to be able to take photographs to the standard that you are displaying on your website, I particularly like one of the wedding photographs, the way it has been captured is inspiring. Do you have a studio that you use regularly or do you actually have access to your own studio?

Thanks

Pip

hi love im wondering if you wanted to help me with a portfolio I'm doing to become a model. I'm 19 and female. Please get back to me asap. Many thanks Christie

What about animal photography? As a (very) amateur photographer, I find there is a lack of good animal photographers out there that do reasonable rates