Leeds - Actual Capital of the North?

HMRC believes Leeds to be the most important hub in Yorkshire and Humberside. So much so that every office not in Leeds will shut in 2020 and everyone will have to move to a new 4400 mega office in Leeds.

Reasons given were transport links, a thriving university (which Sheffield also has), and it's position relative to populations.

If we are talking North of England as a whole I still think Greater Manchester has more influence and clout than Leeds

HMRC believes Leeds to be the most important hub in Yorkshire and Humberside. So much so that every office not in Leeds will shut in 2020 and everyone will have to move to a new 4400 mega office in Leeds.

Reasons given were transport links, a thriving university (which Sheffield also has), and it's position relative to populations.

If we are talking North of England as a whole I still think Greater Manchester has more influence and clout than Leeds

Could be this as well though?

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/leeds-named-best-big-city-in-england-to-live-in-1-7594048#ixzz3sh0LBfOw

This is not meant to be argumentative but, take the tv studios away from leads and it would be a great deal different than now.

This is not meant to be argumentative but, take the tv studios away from leads and it would be a great deal different than now.

I thought they already had, and shifted everything to the new Granada facillities?

Leeds is the third largest city in England , Sheffield is forth & Manchester is about 7th behind Bradford .

Sheffield is the 4th largest city in England behind London, Birmingham & Manchester

Sheffield is the 4th largest city in England behind London, Birmingham & Manchester

http://www.citymayors.com/gratis/uk_topcities.html

Welcome to the UK. The only Country in the World without the faintest idea other than London what size its cities are. It all depends where you look and what you take into account. You can always find one to suit what you require.

Sheffield is bigger in area than leeds but, leeds has a bigger population.

Sheffield is bigger in area than leeds but, leeds has a bigger population.

My point too Kidley

---------- Post added 01-12-2015 at 22:53 ----------

http://www.citymayors.com/gratis/uk_topcities.html

Welcome to the UK. The only Country in the World without the faintest idea other than London what size its cities are. It all depends where you look and what you take into account. You can always find one to suit what you require.

That link goes on population :loopy: I said that Sheffield is a bigger city than Leeds I never said anything about Sheffield having a bigger population!!

My point too Kidley

That link goes on population :loopy: I said that Sheffield is a bigger city than Leeds I never said anything about Sheffield having a bigger population!!

In post 6 I said "But here we go again, another thread likely to be taken over by willey comparisons."

Dead right!

My point too Kidley

But you also said Manchester was third so you are trying to use Population when it suits you and area when it doesn't you can't mix and match its not Woolworths.:loopy: As I said nobody knows for definite you can find tables that say anything, I could probably find one showing the area of Leeds particularly if postcodes are used that has it bigger than Sheffield, so its all a waste of time.

My point too Kidley

Big big bigger. Maybe Sheffield needs some plastic surgery.