Leeds - Actual Capital of the North?

It is a toothless capital that has lost all its legal powers. The constitution calls Amsterdam a capital just like all Americans have the right to have firearms.

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 11:50 ----------

To get back on topic.

Leeds either needs legal powers, or the royal family needs to start living there or it needs the constitution to be saying that Leeds is a capital city of the north.

You're not the only person to say that but I nwasn;t impressed when I visited Liverpool. Maybe I didn't do enough homework and missed the best of it?

Fear not! There's a article about Liverpool on page 18 of Sheffield CAMRA's "Beer Matters"

http://www.sheffieldcamra.org.uk/Beer%20Matters%20459.pdf

Edited by Stoatwobbler

No they don't, they might have states ( US and Australia) or provinces( Canada) that have their own capitals, but no sovereign nation has more than one national capital, what would be the point?

---------- Post added 26-11-2015 at 21:39 ----------

What on earth has Leeds given to the World. Sheffield has given Steel and Football, end of discussion :cool:

Oh here we go again! Arla Foods, Asda, Marks & Spencer, Battle Tanks, Blackburn Aircraft, Swordfish Torpedo Aircraft (we sank the Bismark!), Lancaster Bombers, Bastion Defence systems (of Camp Bastion fame!)Greens Road Rollers, Hunslet Engine Company, John Fowler Locomotives, Matthew Murray Steam Engine locomotive engineer, Kitson Locomotives, Yorkshire Copper Works, Optaire Buses, Joseph Priestley, Tetleys, Melbourne, Burtons Tailors, Hepworth Tailors, Next, Leeds Building Society, Leeds Holbeck Building Society, First Direct Bank, Yorkshire Penny Bank, Waddingtons Games (Monopoly, Cluedo etc.), Premier Farnell, Jet 2, Temple Newsam, Harewood House, Roundhay Park, Golden Acre Park. Plenty of trees thanks, and the Yorkshire Dales as our back garden.

Give it a rest we are all Yorkshire!!

Some people claim south Africa has three capitals.

Amsterdam may be the capital of Netherlands because the royals used to live there long time ago but it has no legal power whatsoever, that is all in then hague.

If you want to call a city a capital due to its far outdated royal history that is not my problem.

Do a little research next time.

Research what, name a country that has two capital cities CURRENTLY, not once upon a time .

Research what, name a country that has two capital cities CURRENTLY, not once upon a time .

wikipedia list of countries with multiple capitals

Amsterdam existence as the capital has been historically very vague. The government has been mostly in the hague since 1584 with some small exceptions in between.

The constitution made one very small mention as that Amsterdam was the capital in 1814. Then that was removed in 1815 and it was very unclear as to what city was the capital.

Then in 1983 it was clearly constitutionally said that Amsterdam was capital because that is the place the royals are crowned.

HAHAHAHA if that makes a place a capital because of all that royal business then what next.

Leeds should be the capital of the north. Just come with some silly old fashioned ritual and put it in the constitution that this makes leeds the new capital of the north.

Maybe they can't write as good as us Sheffielder's

Thats a joke Mort

That's because they are out making things happen, unlike Sheffield folk who sit and post on here, talking about the "good old days"....

That's because they are out making things happen,=1 unlike Sheffield folk who sit and post on here, talking about the "good old days"....

my bold

1/how do you know?

2/ I take it your not from Sheffield then?

Also, it appears that Wikipedia has Barnsley in both Leeds and Sheffield city regions! :confused:

A city region is the area that comes under the influence of the major city at its heart. So Barnsley is actually in both Leeds and Sheffield city regions because people from there work, shop, and spend leisure time in both Leeds and Sheffield. And the success or otherwise of Leeds and Sheffield has a knock-on effect on Barnsley.

It seems a bit odd when you first hear it, but it makes sense really.

my bold

1/how do you know?

2/ I take it your not from Sheffield then?

I lived in Sheffield from 1992 to 2012.

During that time I saw Leeds and Manchester go from relative ****holes to what they are today.

They have left Sheffield trailing, and I would often become annoyed at the locals resistance to change whilst I lived there. I still recall the common view that "city living" wouldn't catch on.

People who worked in town returned to their burbs in the evening, having not spent a penny in the city centre that day, but at the same time moaning that the town centre was drab and had nothing there.

I miss the friendliness of Sheffield, and the parks and things like that, but I don't miss the continual droning on about the past.

The xenophobic fear that the majority of Sheffielders inherit shows its face again.

A city region is the area that comes under the influence of the major city at its heart. So Barnsley is actually in both Leeds and Sheffield city regions because people from there work, shop, and spend leisure time in both Leeds and Sheffield. And the success or otherwise of Leeds and Sheffield has a knock-on effect on Barnsley.

It seems a bit odd when you first hear it, but it makes sense really.

The important point to remember about this "city region" gumph is that the government's plans for elected mayors are not for the cities themselves, but for the city regions. So will Barnsley end up with the Leeds and Sheffield mayors squabbling over it?

Also, with regard to your argument, once you get to the edges of these regions the whole question of wether oor not they actually are in the the influence of one city or the other becomes a bit blurry. High Peak could just as easily found itself in Sheffield city region as Manchester city region. And you do have to ask whether or not places like Ashbourne and Clay Cross are more under the influence of Sheffield or Derby.

I agree with Frayava. It does matter if you believe that perception is reality. I read a report last week about railroads, and their electrification in the midlands. Sheffield was hardly mentioned, it was about connections between Manchester and Leeds, even York was pushed ahead of Sheffield from what I could see.

I am back to the work, effort and vision of the Sheffield Council. It appears to be lethargic, and something seems to be missing. I believe Sheffield needs a strong Chamber of Commerce, with its own budget, to promote the city both in the UK and abroad. They have to tell the story and what the future can hold for the city and its regions