4 December 4th Parliament vote on verge and footway parking

but if it's 2-wheels on the road 2 on the pavement then it's still counts as parking on the road right, so the council can stick a double yellow down as normal and there's no parking there.

No need for extra powers is there???

That's if they want to go down the route of stopping parking on one side of some roads. I don't think there would be much appetite, in general, within SCC to go down this route. If they are insistent on stopping people parking partially on the kerb, then people will park on the road. There will be a much narrower gap for cars to pass, and in some cases it will be impossible for bigger vehicles such as bin wahons, fire engines and buses to get past at all. Only then might SCC be forced to look at extra yellow lines.

On balance, I think they'd prefer the whole issue to go away.

I just think its a pity with what's going on in the world at the moment this is what Parliament is voting on

Hang on a minute, so most car drivers on this thread think their 'right to park' is greater than that of a disabled person in a wheelchair or someone with a pram to walk on the PAVEMENT that is designed for pedestrians? Glad we cleared that one up...

---------- Post added 24-11-2015 at 16:20 ----------

I live on a road which would be too narrow for emergency vehicles if everyone parked with four wheels on the road.

I would much prefer to park that way as it looks neater, but doing so would make my road impassable. Will this law make provision for making space magically appear for those of us who park this way out of necessity rather than choice?

I do, incidentally, leave more than enough room on the pavement for someone to pass with a pram.

If someone decided to live somewhere without LEGAL parking spaces and they have a car then they aren't going to get swathes of sympathy...park up somewhere legal, paying for the privilege if that's what it takes and get off the blooming pavement.

---------- Post added 24-11-2015 at 16:22 ----------

The main problem is 2-fold:

- we have significantly more cars than our older parts of the city were ever designed to accommodate - not really fixable unless you wish to knock down a neighbours house to build a car park. Answer, don't live in those areas if you drive...

- new developments are built with insufficient parking - easily fixable. Make it part of planning consent that all new builds must have parking for at least 2 cars. Include any flats or conversions in this ruling too.

Hang on a minute, so most car drivers on this thread think their 'right to park' is greater than that of a disabled person in a wheelchair or someone with a pram to walk on the PAVEMENT that is designed for pedestrians? Glad we cleared that one up...

I don't think anyone has said that.

I have seen all of the following wheeled devices pass my car, parked with two wheels on the verge, none of whom had any trouble:

scooter

bicycle

pram

motobility scooter

electric quad bike

skateboard

Passing a law to stop this sort of parking altogether would be draconian in my view. I happen to live somewhere with a narrow road and wide pavements, such that I can use some of the pavement to park on and allow traffic to pass rather than blocking the road and at the same time leave ample room on the pavement.

I would love stronger powers against pavement parking. It was thanks to some inconsiderate people (that still do it now in my local area). That I had a nasty fall last year and damaged my ligaments in my ankle. Still can't walk properly now and likely never will. And by parking on pavement, I mean the FULL car is parked on there.

Cars parking on FOOTPATHs is dangerous, in Hillsborough the roads and paths are narrow and motorists park on both sides of the road (go down Oakland Rd and thereabouts any day of the week...) for mums with small children and pushchairs, people in wheelchairs and other disabled people often your only option is to walk in the road.

These motorists are selfish, thoughtless scum! I hope this law is passed and I hope the punishment is having the car towed and crushed... I'm not usually this reactionary but these people must be stopped!

i live at bottom of shirecliffe rd..if we cant park on the verge there is nowhere else as everbody else has drives and we cant block them

Park further away and walk? (Heaven forfend!)

This could be a good source of revenue for local councils. I'd be happy to work as an unpaid sneak, reporting local cars. :D

Cars parking on FOOTPATHs is dangerous, in Hillsborough the roads and paths are narrow and motorists park on both sides of the road (go down Oakland Rd and thereabouts any day of the week...) for mums with small children and pushchairs, people in wheelchairs and other disabled people often your only option is to walk in the road.

These motorists are selfish, thoughtless scum! I hope this law is passed and I hope the punishment is having the car towed and crushed... I'm not usually this reactionary but these people must be stopped!

As I said above, I don't think the Council will have much appetite to enforce any changes to the law. Although they might enforce in the case of people actually blocking the footpath, I can't see them being interested in people with just 2 wheels on the footpath to increase the road width still available to pass.

But if they do, and this results in all those drivers parking fully on the road in future, then there will be a lot more cases of bin wagons and fire engines not being able to attend because the gap between cars is too narrow. Also, a lot more wing mirrors damaged.

I approve of the proposed law change to allow councils to enforce penalties for those parking on footpaths, but I think it is far from a cure-all. It will create further pressures on parking and access around heavily populated areas. And that's not just areas with old terraced houses. Modern estates with windy roads and driveways have very little on-road parking. Most on street parkers tend to finish up on pavements to allow access into the drives opposite.

This Oakland Rd? Where 1 side has car parked on the pavement and the other pavement is completely clear?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Oakland+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S6+4LT/@53.4023471,-1.507186,3a,75y,289.81h,78.11t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfc_51GfQgAoMMlTJvyxhHA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dfc_51GfQgAoMMlTJvyxhHA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D56.469975%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x487978c09f4f79ad:0xa337203b72f2c4b9

---------- Post added 25-11-2015 at 09:02 ----------

This could be a good source of revenue for local councils. I'd be happy to work as an unpaid sneak, reporting local cars. :D

Because "further away" there are entire empty streets, just waiting for displaced cars to arrive and park... :huh:

how would the police enforce this! any one seen the cut backs the Tories has imposed on SYP

how would the police enforce this! any one seen the cut backs the Tories has imposed on SYP

Isn't the point that the legislation would allow councils to enforce the restriction rather than police (who currently have to deal with obstructions)?

Selective enforcement, for example, around schools at drop-off and pick-up time would be most welcome.

not too bad for me no..but next door neigbours wife is disabled and cant walk far

btw we are not parking on pavement but on grass verge...we are legally allowed to park on road but we would be obstructing traffic flow