Can you ban people from a shop or workplace for covering their face?

Not just the burka, but all kind of face coverings.

They require all helmets to be taken off when you visit banks, so why not shops?

They require all helmets to be taken off when you visit banks, so why not shops?

Maybe banks have had a history of people using helmets to hide their identity whilst they rob them, whereas a lot of the other shops don't want to ban people?

If you are clearly doing it for security reasons, then sure, why not.

As El Cid says, if you are doing it for security reasons and NOT targeting one specific group then I can't see why it would be illegal. As a business owner you can set whatever rules you like as long as you do not discriminate. You can ban people wearing white if you so wished.

As El Cid says, if you are doing it for security reasons and NOT targeting one specific group then I can't see why it would be illegal. As a business owner you can set whatever rules you like as long as you do not discriminate. You can ban people wearing white if you so wished.

Morrisons won't serve you if you are wearing a bike helmet even if you've just got off your bike and filled up with petrol. I'd guess the number of people who wear crash helmets and rob petrol stations is well under 1%. Isn't this profiling?

Morrisons won't serve you if you are wearing a bike helmet even if you've just got off your bike and filled up with petrol. I'd guess the number of people who wear crash helmets and rob petrol stations is well under 1%. Isn't this profiling?

Yes of course is it, but there are only certain protected groups at present and motorbikers aren't on the list sadly.

The police can ask people to uncover their face in public, thats usually for security reasons.

I'd imagine it's fine in a shop, unless the covering is some kind of bandage or medical device?

i wouldnt serve or let my staff serve anyone with their face covered, bike helmet or burkha it doesnt matter and they would be asked to leave the premises here in the UK, other countries have different customs and i respect that.

i wouldnt serve or let my staff serve anyone with their face covered, bike helmet or burkha it doesnt matter and they would be asked to leave the premises here in the UK, other countries have different customs and i respect that.

Why would you ask them to remove either? Is it a security matter?

Do they also refuse to serve people wearing the full face Burka , because it has exactly the same effect as a crash helmet or a balaclava ? Surely if they ban a crash helmet , they have to ban the Burka .

I actually don't even talk to people with their face covered. It's not polite to me and I don't feel comfortable.

Why would you ask them to remove either? Is it a security matter?

yes it is a security matter, i want to see who wants to do business in my premises and their demenour, you can tell a lot by someones facial expressions and in any case its rude!