Electric Oven Help! Such wonderful timing. *grumble*

259g6.jpg

2uf8qrm.jpg

Okay, so electrics isn't exactly my forte, but I think it's the neutral wire that's the issue....

Anyway, this is our electric oven socket which has been really temperament over the last couple of days. Today it wouldn't turn the oven on, unless I pushed the switch firmly. So I decided to unscrew the socket and have a look (much to my husbands dismay - he's working....)

It looks like the wire has burnt out.....

Why has it done that? Is this a disaster? Do I need an electrician? We are moving out on Friday :(:confused:

C x

Looking at the discolouration and burning youve had a bad connection on the neutral for a while.

A bad connection (screw not properly tightened) or a few of the copper strands being stripped off when if was fitted will result in heat being generated as it tries to draw the current needed by the oven.

This has caused the switch to fail in your case as well as damaging the cable itsself.

Yes youll need an electrician to make sure the heat thats obviously been generated hasnt caused any problems along the length of the wire.

Hope that helps

It does, thank you.

I'm hoping it won't be an expensive job.

It almost scares me, realising that it's been burning away without us even knowing....

It may be a case that once its been tested as safe then its just a matter of stripping back the burnt section and making a good connection, into a new switch of course.

That is assuming there is enough spare cable present and after testing that its safe of course.

There is quite a bit of blue cable left on it, so if that's anything to go by, I'm hopeful :)

---------- Post added 23-11-2015 at 18:39 ----------

Although I have known it give off 'tingles' which felt little tiny electric shocks (I'm not sure how to explain it) which I've never thought anything of, until now....

I should think that the heat will be pretty localised to the end of the cable where the bad connection was so i think youll be ok.

Please have it checked though by a proffesional.

I'll call somebody first thing in the morning. (and likely spend the night panicking about how much the damned thing will cost)