Electrical advice needed

I am in the process of having an extension done and have had the first fix electrics done.

The electrician has told me that the plug sockets below the counter cant be fixed to the wall nowadays they have to be fixed to the inside of the cabinets, is this true or is it that the electrician wants extra work.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am in the process of having an extension done and have had the first fix electrics done.

The electrician has told me that the plug sockets below the counter cant be fixed to the wall nowadays they have to be fixed to the inside of the cabinets, is this true or is it that the electrician wants extra work.

Thanks

I think you will find that this is to satisfy Part M for users who have limited reach/mobility and it's not an electrical requirement.

Thanks

A joiner told me same when he saw the kitchen I'd fitted at my house so it must be right .iirc it's something to do with being able to access them quickly

I cannot see how it would involve extra work for the electrician to fix them to the cabinets rather than the walls. It's surely quicker to attach to cabinets (than drilling into walls and cutting holes in cabinet backs).

Yes, it is so the appliances can be unplugged/ isolated without having to pull them out from under the worktop. The alternative is to have an isolator switch above the counter that operates the socket.

Sockets should really be mounted to the fabric of the building and not on cabinets= http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=14701

Have a read of this...

Built in appliances need an isolater switch that is not behind the appliance so a switched spur above the counter will do.

Edited by mafya