Should The Queen Retire?

Should The Queen Resign?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Queen Resign?

Depends on whether you think she's Queen by Divine right, ie. placed on the throne by God.

She thinks so, which is why she can't retire.

Does she think so?

She can abdicate, but she won't because of the trouble it caused when her uncle did it.

Have a look at the events of Jan 30th 1649.

You are no doubt referring to the execution of Charles 1st. Who died defending his belief in the divine right of Kings.

However you are ignoring the restoration, which restored his son, Charles

2nd, in an unbroken line to the throne, who was crowned in the same ceremony used since Edward the Confessor in Westminster Abbey, with the same Divine Oath Unto God, and with the same divine symbols of power (Orb and Sceptre.) In fact exactly the same service as used by our Queen, (remember the annointing with Holy oils which she regarded as so Holy she wouldn't have it filmed, so took place in private, under a canopy?)

She believes this stuff and has often been quoted as saying this is why she cannot abdicate. The British Crown is, however, very conscious that the mainstream population don't share her belief, and she could go the same way as Charles any time if the people turn nasty. Therefore it's very much in her interest and that of the Royal line to adhere strongly to this belief and demonstrate it by carrying on to the bitter end come what may.

Edited by Anna B

The idea that Kings were appointed by God is very convenient for their descendents of course.

The truth of the matter is somewhat more brutal though isn't it?

The ancestors of all current monarchs were in fact self appointed by force. Back in the dark ages when life was a constant struggle for survival for the majority of people & it was necessary to labour from dawn to dusk just to eke out a living two groups of people decided it wasn't the way they wanted to live.

The first group got together with like minded fellow thugs & went around preying on the populace in order to fund their preferred lifestyle. In the fullness of time this scam became more sophisticated & they awarded themselves fancy titles & introduced laws to ensure no one else could come along & pull the same stunt on them.

The second group who didn't fancy working for a living came up with a different, more subtle scam. They went around the populace & persuaded them that although this life wasn't a bundle of laughs, what with the King & his cohorts extorting their goods & chattels & whatnot, if they supplied them with what they asked for they could arrange for a fabulous time in the next life. This lot called themselves servants of God, & still do.

Now I accept that that is a somewhat simplified & crude synopsis but basically it more or less sums it up imo.

So the current descendants of 'Royalty' wherever in the world they happen to be, are in fact descended from successful thieves, thugs & murderers.

If you wish to bow & kneel to them that is of course your choice but if you don't mind I would prefer to include myself out.

If you wish to bow & kneel to them that is of course your choice but if you don't mind I would prefer to include myself out.

Quite, but if you or I challenged them to a fight, winner takes all, we'd be hauled off and imprisoned. Yet it was good enough for their relatives.

Ahh taxman. that's where them laws they introduced come in. Carn't have the riff raff getting uppity can we? Do as we say, not as we did!

This isn't a stomach bug. She's getting nervous about the bedroom tax.

This isn't a stomach bug. She's getting nervous about the bedroom tax.

That nearly made me smile.

75/% voting no,thats quite a good majority and has quite surprised me.

Edited by janie48
letter h added

I hope she lives to be 115 and wheeled around in a chair with an oxygen tank attached. Just to see all the anti-monarchists frothing at the mouth :D :D

I hope Charles gets the job asap. Then people might understand what is wrong with a hereditary monarchy.

Harleyman. In what way would the Queen surviving into old age upset an anti-monarchist?

I'ts the institution of monarchy that ant-monarchists don't approve of. Whether the Queen passes away in the next month or so or survives for the next 50 years is immaterial to the institution 'the King is dead, long live the King'. One down, next up, no matter what kind of dipstick is next in line.

In my original post on this thread (18) I made the point that I have no personal animosity toward them, & I don't, after all ,they can no more help the family they were born into than the rest of us.

The institution itself is totally outdated & makes the country look like Ruritania to the rest of the world.

As for the Queen, she is an elderly lady, a grandmother & I wish her a speedy recovery.

If you read my post at 18 you will see precisely what my views on the lady are.