Advice about stray cat

Hi just looking for some advice, around about May a cat kept appearing in my garden it looked well cared for, very affectionate and friendly. Over the next week or so it started to look thin and was there every time we opened the door. I bought a collar and attached a note to it asking if this was anyone's cat, we also took its photo and put it on a lost and found page on facebook, and put posters up in the neighbourhood. We took her to vets she's not chipped so we started feeding her and she was quite happy living in the garden just coming inside for food. I couldn't take her in as I have an elderly male housecat who's quite territorial. We got her name down at the cat shelter for rehousing but have heard nothing from them. Now it's getting colder I've made her a little den in my shed and bought her a pet warmer to put in her bed, do you think she will be ok when it starts to get really cold. She won't stay in the house for long and I'm worried she's not going to make it though winter any advice as to what more I could do would be appreciated thanks.

I have exactly the same issue as you. Although this cat doesn't look thin but she's sat there first thing in a morning waiting for me to feed her and again when I return home from work. I too have made her a den with a bed but she doesn't go in it. I have no idea where she sleep but it's not far as when I open my door she shoots straight over the fence to my garden. I feel so sorry for her. My mum suggested the same as what you have done with the collar/note asking of she belongs to anyone. I've managed to get her in the house twice but she's scared.

It's awful isn't it when you shut the door and leave them to the elements at night, if she would stay in I would have no problem with her sleeping in the kitchen but as soon as you close the door she panics. I think she's been someone's pet because she's lovely, I just wish the cats shelter would ring to say she's got a place there.

I haven't tried to close the door as she's just too scared and I totally agree it's truly awful. I lay in bed thinking about her and where she is and again first thing in the morning I'm thinking about her. Yesterday she was sneezing which has made me feel worse. She must be really cold. My friend at work said they always find somewhere warm to shelter but I'm not convinced :-(

Perhaps make a few refuges with hay in them so that they can choose where they want to go. I have a cat flap into the shed and a kennel for a feral I feed. He uses the kennel a lot but nit the shed. They really like to be able to see what's happening so that if they feel threatened they can flee. A few years ago I started to feed a thin stray. I had a cat already and she really disliked him. I left the door open and he started to come in to eat them leave. Slowly he started to explore. Eventually he moved in and my other cat had got used to him, though she preceded him not being there she accepted him.