Where were the gritters?

So we had at least 3 days notice of overnight snow and frost for last night which was pretty accurate as when I got up this morning it was white over and icy.

Roads were atrocious and dangerous due to the ice but once again Sheffield Council failed to grit.:rant:

They were out. (we had them yesterday evening and then again at 5am this morning) But if you recall...it rained before it snowed. So it washed away the grit. So they did their job. They can't help it raining.

So we had at least 3 days notice of overnight snow and frost for last night which was pretty accurate as when I got up this morning it was white over and icy.

Roads were atrocious and dangerous due to the ice but once again Sheffield Council failed to grit.:rant:

Well I left for the station at 06.50 and the roads in Wadsley were fine.

Has there been a lot of disruption and RTAs?

So you haven't got winter tyres on your car the OP???

Ever thought of taking a little bit of responsibility for your own safety??

*awaits incoming*

1. It isn't the council who do the gritting.

2. The gritters have been out.

3. As a professional driver, you should know that gritting has little effect on snow. Still less on snow that melts and re-freezes.

No problems around s20 s12 the roads have been gritted .

Last night I saw the gritters going past my office about every three hours. Unfortunately it rained quite heavily which washed the grit off. So, when the snow came at around 3 am it settled quite quickly.

It did then rain again after the snow. Again I saw the gritters after this time - but I think that they were concentrating on main routes.

I agree with what someone else said about taking responsibility for yourself. I don't have winter tyres on my car (I've got them on my pushbike mind) and I regretted it last night. Got stuck on our road at seven thirty this morning in half an inch of frozen snow. Other cars seemed to manage with no problem though.

One thing though, on our street we have a grit bin. It was full. I did a sprinkling of grit over the ice and it had absolutely no effect. I know that it needs working in for best effect but usually when you put grit down you can hear it crackling as it works.

1. It isn't the council who do the gritting.

2. The gritters have been out.

3. As a professional driver, you should know that gritting has little effect on snow. Still less on snow that melts and re-freezes.

Spot on.

At first I thought that this was a thread from a few years ago or is the OP taking the mick ?

If anyone struggled to get around this morning in a car then they shouldn't even have a car never mind drive one.

I have just seen a grittier going down burngreave road about 10 mins ago...

Gritting on M1 earlier. It must be difficult though. In S13 there was very little snow not even enough that could be classed as a light covering but in other parts of the city is seems to have been quite thick.

But if grit bins were still available people could spread the grit and help to make some areas safer.

Have you just passed your test ?

The roads were fine this morning - pity you when the bad weather really sets in.

Welcome to the north !

PS - just noticed your location........ Stannington ! Mate - you ain't seen nothing yet !:hihi:

Edited by Daven

Out in the sticks the roads were pretty poor this morning, due to the ice, two cars in to the wall at the first roundabout I came to. Coming into the roundabout too fast, braked but simply slid straight into the wall beyond the roundabout.

Coming back from Tesco's at half one my missus encountered ice on the road where the sun had failed to melt it (in the shadows), neither had it been salted. A poor show by the gritters imho.

Angel1.