Bin wagon driver jobs

drivers get paid more and i will ring viola but i thought id ask here case anyone knew of any jobs i dont want agency as there not reliable and use that stupid umberella scheme

not like years ago when proper binmen had to walk round to your back yard & lift & carry the bins on their backs, and the bins were made out of metal

Yep those were the days. It seems interesting that binmens pay has never decreased since those days yet now they do much less work.

not like years ago when proper binmen had to walk round to your back yard & lift & carry the bins on their backs, and the bins were made out of metal

I remember them well - worked on the bins in Stocksbridge when half the bins were full of ash and weighed nigh on a hundredweight.

Loads of binmen were nearly crippled with bad backs by their late '30's.

btw bins were carried on the shoulder, not the back ;)

Yep those were the days. It seems interesting that binmens pay has never decreased since those days yet now they do much less work.

come on then malc tell us all what you do for a living and we can all hold you in judgement.

---------- Post added 22-11-2015 at 16:49 ----------

be very careful stu, your previous posts may come back and bite you.

come on then malc tell us all what you do for a living and we can all hold you in judgement.

---------- Post added 22-11-2015 at 16:49 ----------

be very careful stu, your previous posts may come back and bite you.

I work in an office so yes I dont get to do any manual labour work. Apart from when I have to do the binmens job for them and drag my bin to the kerb and back again.

I personally think that back in day bin men should have been paid more becuase it was a tough job. I just dont see how its tough anymore as the general public do it for them and what we dont do the machine at the back of the lorry does it.

I work in an office so yes I dont get to do any manual labour work. Apart from when I have to do the binmens job for them and drag my bin to the kerb and back again.

I personally think that back in day bin men should have been paid more becuase it was a tough job. I just dont see how its tough anymore as the general public do it for them and what we dont do the machine at the back of the lorry does it.

whats your job again?

How long are we going back here? if you are talking around the 1950s the only thing in 99% of bins was ash from the fire, and the binmen then, very rarely moved the bins from the house, in my case yard. "more info if needed"

---------- Post added 22-11-2015 at 21:28 ----------

After a little bit more thought ime sure they used to call them ashbins?

If Veolia are short of drivers they tend to initially take them on a temporary basis from an agency. Best bet would be to ring them & find out which agency they use.

I'm sure Reeds do, my mate got a job with veola as a drivers mate on a refuse van picking up sofas and what not through Reeds agency...