Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

You're unfortunately and cynically correct I fear.

I thought I'd add to this debate by posting a moving article written by a junior doctor in today's Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/views-from-the-nhs-frontline/2016/jan/05/doctor-suicide-hospital-nhs

It lays bare the emotional cost of caring that doctors have to bear. The same emotional cost, and consequent burn out & proneness to mental health difficulties can be seen in nurses, social workers and support workers too.

Good luck to the doctors.

Good luck to them indeed !

The ones that really care are the ones who become ill because they try to go above and beyond the call of duty. This applies to nurses too. The problem is the the NHS will let them and they end up burnt out and ill.

Please support the doctors - all of us want a happy and healthy NHS surely ?

If I remember correctly. Doctors/Jr Docs worked to rule over a contracts dispute in 1975. They don't have a history of militancy. In my opinion,they've been pretty restrained in this dispute. I support their action unconditionally.

I do hope they win.

I'd sack the lot of them who strike.

And replace them with who?

Don't be absurd. The participants are the most conscientious and dedicated group of professionals in the country.

There are moves afoot, by this government to introduce anti-trade union legislation, that will make it almost impossible to organise strike action.

I suppose that would suit you down to the ground.

Point of fact. Under current trade union law. If the action is the result of a lawful ballot and then the employer sacks the employee. The employee then has grounds for "Unfair Dismissal". You end up at a Tribunal . And that's not

where an intelligent employer wants to be.

Edited by petemcewan

Don't be absurd. The participants are the most conscientious and dedicated group of professionals in the country.

There are moves afoot, by this government to introduce anti-trade union legislation. that will make it almost impossible to organise strike action.

I suppose that would suit you down to the ground.

Underlined: :huh: obviously sarcasm :hihi:

bold: How did you come to that conclusion?

---------- Post added 06-01-2016 at 02:42 ----------

And replace them with who?

er foreign staff? After all, 25% of the NHS is propped up with foreign staff.

We can do a simple exchange. All the ones holding banners threatening to go and work abroad, can do just that, and we can take people who want to work here in our amazing NHS :)

Edited by *_ash_*

To, "ash".

The current government plans to introduce anti-trade union law, that will make it almost impossible for a union to organise strike action. I suppose that would suit your view -down to the ground.

Just so you understand how absurd your view is. Their proposed action is the result of a lawfully conducted ballot. So if you sacked them . The union would drag you before an Industrial Tribunal for "unfair dismissal" . The union would win.

Edited by petemcewan

to your addition,

Point of fact. Under current trade union law. If the action is the result of a lawful ballot and then the employer sacks the employee. The employee then has grounds for "Unfair Dismissal". You end up at a Tribunal . And that's not

where an intelligent employer wants to be.

Another good reason to get rid of the ones striking.

Holding a country at ransom with emergency care is absolutely unacceptable in my opinion. Get rid.

There are plenty of good medical staff in the world, the only shame is that because of people like this, other countries are deprived of their own needs.

to your addition,

Holding a country at ransom with emergency care is absolutely unacceptable in my opinion. Get rid.

There are plenty of good medical staff in the world, the only shame is that because of people like this, other countries are deprived of their own needs.

Of course they are not holding the "country" to ransom . They are participating in an action permitted by the "Law".

"There are plenty of good medical staff in the world". Yes indeed. And the best of them are here. Mostly highly intelligent young people from our education system. Participating in an action to protect their: career , the welfare of their patients and the NHS.

What do you take them for ? They are not idiots. Do you not think that everyone of them, has searched their conscience before voting , "yes" in the

ballot. "Get rid" ! Terminate the career of some of the best brains in the country. Because they have the courage to stand up for themselves .

In the long run, the welfare of patients and the NHS will be the better , for their courageous stand. It's not just about contracts.

I support them. I hope they win;and I hope they win quickly.

---------- Post added 06-01-2016 at 07:14 ----------

to your addition,

Of course they are not holding the "country" to ransom . They are participating in an action permitted by the Law.

"There are plenty of good medical staff in the world". Yes indeed. And the best of them are here. Mostly highly intelligent young people from our education system. Participating in an action to protect their: career , the welfare of their patients and the NHS.

What do you take them for ? They are not idiots. Do you not think that everyone of them has searched their conscience , before voting , "yes" in the

ballot. "Get rid" ! Terminate the career of some of the best brains in the country. Because they have the courage to stand up for themselves .

Edited by petemcewan

Well Im sure that that would be very helpful and SUCH a good idea!!!