Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

Read it again, it's not contradictory at all. It would have been if it said "just not doctors" rather than "not just doctors".

Oh yes you are quite correct. I indeed read it as 'just not doctors' and not 'not just doctors'.

NHS doctors told to declare income from private work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37415587

Doctors and MPs already have to declare an interest, now the MPs want doctors to go one step further.

This is just more playing politics with our NHS. I am all for everyone making their tax returns open to the public, not just doctors.

Why?

Do you not believe that people have a right to keep their income levels/employment details and personal information private.

Its for the HMRC to know what people earn, calculate what they should pay and make sure that they collect such amount. IF and only IF someone is proven in a court of law to be deliberately underpaying what they are legally ordered to pay then public interest may arise. Prior to that is nobody else's business.

Just becuase the HMRC and Tax Ministers have failed in shutting down the loopholes and failed to keep on top of those refusing to pay does not mean that someone's entire financial disclosure needs to be out there for every Tom, Dick and Harry to have a good look.

What's next? Medical Notes to compensate for failures in the NHS? Criminal Records to excuse failures by the Police?

Where would it end.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Why?

Do you not believe that people have a right to keep their income levels/employment details and personal information private.

In Norway tax records are open, so anyone can see what anybody else earns.

Since 2014 however, you will be notified if somebody checks your records. I believe there was some opposition to his clause being added (or so my Norwegian friends tell me).

I'm not sure how I would feel about that, but then they are always listed as one of the happiest countries in the world, so they are doing something right.

In Norway tax records are open, so anyone can see what anybody else earns.

<snip>

I'm not sure how I would feel about that. . .

Post your tax records on here, right now, for the world to see.

You'll know pretty soon exactly how you'll feel :|

What's next? Medical Notes to compensate for failures in the NHS? Criminal Records to excuse failures by the Police?

Where would it end.

People want to keep things secret, why? Change 'secret' to 'private' if it makes you feel better.

We now how the freedom of information act, a step in the right direction. Why do MPs want doctors to declare their income, but they do not declare their own?

MPs rightly say that there could be a conflict of interest, that would be the same for anyone, MP, doctor or accountant.

If it is the government that is doing this, then I have to say I disagree with them strongly. What a doctor does in his or her spare time is their business, as is their own income. If they use their skills to further benefit people's health, if they have a second job as a plasterer, if they decide to volunteer down at the local Salvation Army or if they want to play golf or go lapdancing, that is entirely their business and none of ours.

What is this constant obsession with people wanting to know what others earn.

The BBC likewise.

Not if he's not there.

The consultant was working, on a Sunday.

Consultants DO work weekends, nights and bank holidays.

Senior Registrar's DO work weekends, nights and bank holidays

Doctors DO work weekends, nights and bank holidays.

How many more times does this have to be stated as fact ?:rolleyes:

If it is the government that is doing this, then I have to say I disagree with them strongly. What a doctor does in his or her spare time is their business, as is their own income. If they use their skills to further benefit people's health, if they have a second job as a plasterer, if they decide to volunteer down at the local Salvation Army or if they want to play golf or go lapdancing, that is entirely their business and none of ours.

What is this constant obsession with people wanting to know what others earn.

The BBC likewise.

It's nor about knowing what people earn as such. It's about seeing where our tax is going. I think we've got a right to know how much public funded employees are getting paid. If they're earning private money from somewhere else, that's none of our business.

If they're earning private money from somewhere else, that's none of our business.

Except if they're claiming to be overworked. If they've taken on additional work to supplement their income then that undermines any claim of being overworked in their primary job.