Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

What's a decent rate of pay for a Junior/ Doctor? I'd like to see this.

Just like the lefties :roll: using emotion to try win a popularity. So I'll ask again, what IS this magic £ number that is 'not too much to ask' MLAR? Give us this number! (or anyone for that matter :) )

Anything north of a taxi driver's take home pay and/or a middle ranking investment banker. I'd pay doctors twice as much as an executive at Barclays.

I'm not clicking on any link you post that looks sarcastic.

Well, plenty will. They'll all get a smirk at your rather silly response.

Well, in 20 years it will be history, and perhaps exist purely in name.

The NHS is here to stay. It is the crowning glory of our great nation.

Anything north of a taxi driver's take home pay and/or a middle ranking investment banker. I'd pay doctors twice as much as an executive at Barclays.

So basically the same as anyone would say then, including me? Hardly a reply is it. It's just a cheap jibe at my job.

Come on, figures, what is a decent rate of pay for a Junior/Doctor?

Well, plenty will. They'll all get a smirk at your rather silly response.

I don't care what other people click on their devices, that's their choice, and they can smirk all they want.

It won't last, and not because you think that I think that it's crap, or not an amazing achievement, but because it is unsustainable. Why do you think we have so many foreigners working for it now?

What have they done when they left? If there are heaps of them, that should be an easy answer, to something I don't know.

They leave the NHS, then re join with an agency and get double what they were on before, and we also have to pay the agency just as much for the pleasure.

i have heard of consultants gettin a grand a day, not sure how accurate that is tho

What a ridiculous thing to say. How much tax do you think we would have to pay in order to acieve that? I suppose you want to penalise the successful and make them pay instead of life's losers?

I love the NHS, but it isn't here to stay sooner or later we will lose it and Darwinism will return to these shores.

They leave the NHS, then re join with an agency and get double what they were on before, and we also have to pay the agency just as much for the pleasure.

i have heard of consultants gettin a grand a day, not sure how accurate that is tho

It costs taxpayers hundreds of thousands to train a spotty kid with A levels to be a doctor.

Do you think that they should have to be contracted to the NHS for a minimum period after qualification? 10 years ? More?

Edited by Eric Arthur

What a ridiculous thing to say. How much tax do you think we would have to pay in order to acieve that? I suppose you want to penalise the successful and make them pay instead of life's losers?

I love the NHS, but it isn't here to stay sooner or later we will lose it and Darwinism will return to these shores.

I am a bit puzzled as to how you would make lifes losers pay.

yes they should,

but on this thread you keep saying the opposite of the truth -because of your somewhat blind party loyalty.

Under the current contract, standard time is set out as 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday. Junior doctors routinely work outside of ‘standard time’

When doctors work outside of this standard time they receive a pay premium (as part of their banding supplement).

The government wants to extend standard time to 7am to 10pm Monday to Saturday.

The government wants doctors to continue to work evenings and Saturdays, but just reduce the rate of pay for them.

The proposal, taken from here:

i've slimmed it down for clarity.

It's the same as the; teachers pensions, ema, legal aid, the army,the raf, council funding, surestart, gp practice pay, youth centres, leisure centres, prison officers, unis, tax inspectors, police etc etc etc

oh yeah they cut top tax rate as well, but mp's wages went up..

If you read this it's all couched in great positive spin,raised,protedcted,ringfenced blah

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/spending-review-and-autumn-statement-2015-key-announcements

so junior doctors contract terms amendments - call it what it is, a pay cut (tax saving) and yet another chance to pull unions down a peg or two.

It costs taxpayers hundreds of thousands to train a spotty kid with A levels to be a doctor.

Do you think that they should have to be contracted to the NHS for a minimum period after qualification? 10 years ? More?

I haven't seen this argument from the health secretary Eric - you working off your own script not the one central office supplies ? The Daily Mail haven't run with it either but I suspect there is time yet for the email to be cut and pasted into the front page !

Come on, figures, what is a decent rate of pay for a Junior/Doctor?

Is there such a figure?

The organisation that employs people, should be able to recruit staff, if they cannot then they should make the terms of employment better.

The reason why people do a certain job varies greatly, do doctors do it for the money?

I have a friend who always wanted to be a train driver, he has come very close to getting the job. He has tried numerous times, the pay is around £45k+

People want to join the army, become an aeroplane pilot, the salary is not the main factor; but once they get5 they job, the employer must keep the employee happy, otherwise they will leave.

I dont think this strike is about pay, but about hours. Its rubbish pay to start with, but ok after a few years.

---------- Post added 16-01-2016 at 12:02 ----------

Theresa May has been urged to rethink new £35,000 earnings threshold for non-EU migrants as teachers, nurses and junior doctors face deportation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-urged-to-rethink-new-35000-earnings-threshold-for-non-eu-migrants-as-teachers-face-a6814841.html

I dont think this strike is about pay, but about hours. Its rubbish pay to start with, but ok after a few years.

How rubbish is the pay to start with?

How OK is the pay after a few years?

The starting salary for a junior doctor is currently just under £23,000 a year, but with extra payments for things such as unsociable hours, this can quite easily top £30,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34775980

---------- Post added 16-01-2016 at 12:22 ----------

for perspective.

go run a small supermarket...

£42,000 starting salary

Your generous starting wage will rise in stages to £70,000 after four years...

Aldi graduate scheme.

What's a decent rate of pay for a Junior/ Doctor? I'd like to see this.

Just like the lefties :roll: using emotion to try win a popularity. So I'll ask again, what IS this magic £ number that is 'not too much to ask' MLAR? Give us this number! (or anyone for that matter :) )

What about the rate of pay that junior doctors currently earn? They're not striking for a pay rise, they're striking to maintain their pay.

---------- Post added 16-01-2016 at 16:34 ----------

Stopping a junior doctor going abroad to learn new skills and acquirer new knowledge would be a really bad idea.