Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

For example, would you pay the same rate for a plumber or a lawyer on 9pm on a Saturday night then you would on a 9am on Tuesday morning?

Exactly :thumbsup:

The government feels it OWNS docs :shakes:

SO glad they're fighting back! :banana:

Stick it to the man people! :D

Hunt deserves EVERYTHING headed his way :mad:

Again, the argument is a little too subtle for you!!!!

Nobody is arguing that they shouldn't be working 9pm on Saturday, they are talking about the amount that people get paid for working those times!

It's not subtle at all, in fact I explained it very clearly.

Most people will come to the conclusion that this is a dispute centred on wanting to be paid more for working the fewer hours that doctors keep saying thry should be working.

It's a simple pay dispute, no different from miners or the police, except that miners were always on strike and the police aren't allowed to strike.

It's doctors that have moaned about working hours since God was a lad, even though it's their macho culture that causes it. Now that a government is trying to sort something out they don't like the implications. It's human nature, I don't blame them individually in the slightest, but as a group the issue needs tackling.

It would be a good idea if doctors weren't allowed to strike.

It would be a good idea if doctors weren't allowed to strike

Right

So how about you

Should YOU be allowed to strike mate?

Doctors need to rest

They are NOT slaves :mad:

5 days on 2 off on a Rota system,surely no one's asking them to work 7 days a week.

There are lots of different professions and trades that get paid different rates for working at different times. For example, would you pay the same rate for a plumber or a lawyer on 9pm on a Saturday night then you would on a 9am on Tuesday morning?

Your analogy is from the schoolyard. Are plumbers an essential service with no competition? No.

Doctors are essential and there is no choice of service. Or are you actually saying that doctors are like plumbers?

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 13:54 ----------

Right

So how about you

Should YOU be allowed to strike mate?

I work longer hours than doctors but I've never felt the need to withhold my services even though they aren't essential.

Doctors shouldn't be allowed to go on strike if they really are an essential service.

It's not subtle at all, in fact I explained it very clearly.

If that's the case why did you suggest that junior doctors didn't want to work shifts?

It's a simple pay dispute, no different from miners or the police, except that miners were always on strike and the police aren't allowed to strike.

It's doctors that have moaned about working hours since God was a lad. Now that a government is trying to sort something out they don't like the implications. It's human nature, I don't blame them individually in the slightest, but as a group the issue needs tackling.

It would be a good idea if doctors weren't allowed to strike.

It's a lot different from the miners because the miners were striking over the closure of the pits. With the junior doctors the work is there, they just want to be able to work same amount of hours for at the same amount of pay.

I didn't suggest that junior doctors didn't want to work shifts.

One strike does not maketh a union. Miners went on strike about pay all the time. It's exactly the same.

I work longer hours than doctors but I've never felt the need to withhold my services even though they aren't essential.

Doctors shouldn't be allowed to go on strike if they really are an essential service.

Do you deal with life threatening situations where you are responsible.

You are aware ("proper") Doctors have to pay for their own insurance? So, forced to work long hours but still save lives and if not they have to defend themselves!

With the junior doctors the work is there, they just want to be able to work same amount of hours for at the same amount of pay.

Please don't insult our intelligence.

Do you deal with life threatening situations where you are responsible

Does he eck! :hihi:

Keyboard warrior :roll:

Do you deal with life threatening situations where you are responsible.

Not every day. Few doctors do for that matter but that's incidental.

You seem to be agreeing with me that doctors are an essential service, in which case they should not be allowed to go on strike, just like the police or armed forces.

You seem to be agreeing with me that doctors are an essential service, in which case they should not be allowed to go on strike, just like the police or armed forces

Let's just work 'em to death instead