Missing river in Rotherham

When I was a kid back in the fifties you were allowed to play almost anywhere, well I was. Being brought up in the Thornhill/ Masborough area of Rotherham there were loads of places to interest a kid. One such area was Union Street where a stream ran into a gated culvert from derelict industrial land. The stream was almost certainly being used further uphill by some industry because the water flow would rise and fall with little warning.

About a mile away towards Rotherham there was an area called New York, here a stream ran under the road and I was told it was the same one that flowed into the Union Street culvert and was in fact the River Mas , after which Masbro' was named.

Has anyone else heard of the River Mas or does anyone even know the area I'm talking about?

When I was a kid back in the fifties you were allowed to play almost anywhere, well I was. Being brought up in the Thornhill/ Masborough area of Rotherham there were loads of places to interest a kid. One such area was Union Street where a stream ran into a gated culvert from derelict industrial land. The stream was almost certainly being used further uphill by some industry because the water flow would rise and fall with little warning.

About a mile away towards Rotherham there was an area called New York, here a stream ran under the road and I was told it was the same one that flowed into the Union Street culvert and was in fact the River Mas , after which Masbro' was named.

Has anyone else heard of the River Mas or does anyone even know the area I'm talking about?

River mas still flows freely at the back of bradgate club then disappeares under bradgate park :bigsmile:

I think the 'river' you mean is known as Holmes Tail Goit, which ran from Jordan's Weir to Don Street. it fed much of the industrial premises in Masborough and New York. It has been cut off from Jordan's weir and now serves as a drain to the River Don, some large sections that exist are testament to it's former size and the amount of water it carried for all the industrial works.

I'm not to sure about the River Mas though, but I could guess this was probably re-routed for navigation in the 1800's, when Holmes Tail Goit was created.

River mas still flows freely at the back of bradgate club then disappeares under bradgate park :bigsmile:

I used to know the area well and worked with a lady who lived in Glasshouse Street.

1854 map

Shows coal pits, a colliery and various works and a pond in the direction of Bradgate.

The extension of Union Street is Clough Road. At Clough House a stream(clough) went east towards the Don as indicated by the Parish boundary.

As the railway was built in a cutting the stream might have been diverted along Clough Road and Union Street. This stream started at Bassingthorpe Springs

I think the 'river' you mean is known as Holmes Tail Goit, which ran from Jordan's Weir to Don Street. it fed much of the industrial premises in Masborough and New York. It has been cut off from Jordan's weir and now serves as a drain to the River Don, some large sections that exist are testament to it's former size and the amount of water it carried for all the industrial works.

I'm not to sure about the River Mas though, but I could guess this was probably re-routed for navigation in the 1800's, when Holmes Tail Goit was created.

Both totaly different places goits at bottom of Joneses farm adjacent to canal tow path between them nice walk from Rotherham to meadowhall good tarmac towpath now .

Thanks for all the replies. I think Bantycock has got it right, geographically his answer makes sense.

I do know the stream Annie mentions, 'up clough' was a popular area with us kids, especially the rope swing on the outcrop above the stream.

Happy days.

I was born on Lyme street in Rotherham at the bottom of the street a small river ran pass Emil engineering down pass Brinsworth college and into the river don think this was called river Mas if you go behind old post office up from Lyme street towards old football ground it used to run pass there.Just pass Emil engineering there was a big house I think family who lived there was called Bailey I used to play with their son .Is there any other local masborough lads who remember area