Busnesses that store car summer/winter wheels

I might be mistaken, but I believe that the tyre service next to Law Brothers (Junction Penistone Road/Leppings Lane, I forgot their name) do this...

They used to do it, but sadly don't do it any more

I don't buy into the hype here in the UK (Sheffield at least) paying so much for storage, the winter set, the garage to swap them over etc. I bet if we are honest the amount of days in the last 5 years when they were a real life saver would be under 10 days.

Have you considered snow socks or an all round tyre?

I don't buy into the hype here in the UK (Sheffield at least) paying so much for storage, the winter set, the garage to swap them over etc. I bet if we are honest the amount of days in the last 5 years when they were a real life saver would be under 10 days.

This will be my fifth winter running winter tyres now - they're DEFINITELY worth it. They perform better whenever the temperature is below around 7ºC, not just when the white stuff (or the icy stuff) is on the ground.

As long as you're hanging onto the car for a few years, and you can store & change the wheels yourself, it doesn't work out any more expensive in the long run.

I just ordered my winter wheels, plus a stand to store them. Decided to keep them at home for the time being.

I've got snow socks, and while they're great in the snow and ice, you have to remove them when you get onto clear roads, and getting them on and off when it's freezing and wet is a very unpleasant experience, and can be tricky.

I also had a very unpleasant experience a couple of years ago when trying to fit the snow socks at the side of the road. The conditions were so bad it was getting too dangerous to continue without them. I was having difficulty fitting them due to the cold, and opened the car door a tiny bit to fetch some thicker gloves when a car slid off the road and and smashed into my door, missing me by a few inches.

That's another reason I'm going for winter wheels.

Mind you, it also reminds you that though you will have winter tyres and can stop safely, those behind you probably wont.

Edited by Ravenger

Alternatively, everyone can learn to drive to suit the conditions of the road and not worry about the 2 days a year that adverse weather affects England.

They're worth it for some and not for others.

Personally, they're worth it for me. I store them at home, change them myself and I'm not using my summer tyres whilst I use those. This is my 4th winter with them on.

As someone who goes to work at odd times, where public transport doesn't run direct, it makes sense for me and gives me the reassurance that I can get where I need to be.

I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone considering them, but, for those who can work at home, travel later, or avoid travel when it snows, they're not really worth it.

They also increase grip during temperatures of 7 degrees and less.

I have winter tyres fitted to my motor car. You seem to believe in the fallacy that the only benefit of a winter tyre is that is provides traction when summer tyres provide none - ergo your insinuation that a winter tyre is only of required when a car with summer tyres could not proceed at all.

Of course this is a misleading simplification. Winter tyres provide more friction whenever the temperature falls to 7 degrees or so. This friction is useful whenever one wishes to overcome Newton's Laws - for example when going around a corner or braking. And, of course, when one wishes to start moving.

In Sheffield, the mean average daytime temperature is 7 degrees or below from November until April.

Alternatively, everyone can learn to drive to suit the conditions of the road and not worry about the 2 days a year that adverse weather affects England.

Provided that includes leaving the car at home on the few days that their summer tyres are inadequate.

There is always at least one poster in threads like this who seems convinced they can drive up a steep snow covered road on summer tyres.

And everyone who can't has poor technique.

Sorry but you are totally WRONG.

Modern summer tyres on a 2WD car do not give enough grip to get up even modest snowy inclines . And they simply slide when trying to brake.

They are designed to be low noise , low rolling resistance (better to maximise mpg). As such , they have noticeably gotten worse in winter conditions over the last 10-20 years.

See the car on the left in this video. That is you and your brilliant technique (usually blocking the road). I will be driving past you when safe on my winter tyres!

Modern summer tyres on a 4WD might give you traction to get moving , but they are still rubbish for stopping . Can prove even more treacherous as the extra traction getting going makes people overconfident and get too much speed up.

That is why , for a few days every year , parts of the country get gridlocked during snowy conditions.

People who knowingly go out in snowy conditions on summer tyres should be charged if they get stuck and cause a blockage (as they are on the continent).

Sheffield is especially bad due to the hills, it only takes one numpty to block the road , spinning his wheels like mad in the belief he can get up the hill, and everyone else has to stop - which makes getting going even more difficult.

The cost of a second set of winter tyres (or simply investing in a good set of all season tyres) will be a lot less than making a claim for a small bump.

Winter tyres are the best investment I ever made.

I can now get up to the top of the hill without any struggle and I'm told by the garage you can leave them on all year round if you choose to.

I suppose that is a personal choice but they are well worth their money especially now the council have not replaced some of the grit/salt boxes.

Absolutely no point in me getting winter tyres. I have a RWD, 350bhp, front engine sports car. When the ice hits I get the bus and leave the car at home!

They're worth it for some and not for others.

Personally, they're worth it for me. I store them at home, change them myself and I'm not using my summer tyres whilst I use those. This is my 4th winter with them on.

As someone who goes to work at odd times, where public transport doesn't run direct, it makes sense for me and gives me the reassurance that I can get where I need to be.

I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone considering them, but, for those who can work at home, travel later, or avoid travel when it snows, they're not really worth it.

They also increase grip during temperatures of 7 degrees and less.

Where do you store them at home? I was thinking of my cellar, but am concerned the air might be too damp in there for tyres?