Busnesses that store car summer/winter wheels

I'm looking to get a set of winter rims and tyres for my car as I'm fed up with being trapped in my road when it snows or ices up. (I do clear my road, but with really severe weather it's difficult to keep it clear, and the grit bins often run out of grit after the first day of bad weather).

The main issue is where to store the wheels as they're heavy and take up a lot of space, but are also valuable.

Does anyone know of any tyre centres or garages in Sheffield that will store my regular wheels over the winter, and the same for the winter ones in summer? Not just the tyres, but the whole wheels.

I know in Germany where it's a legal requirement to have winter tyres that many garages offer this service.

I might be mistaken, but I believe that the tyre service next to Law Brothers (Junction Penistone Road/Leppings Lane, I forgot their name) do this. Might be worth giving them a call (provided you know who I mean! I think it might be STS or something, they changed name recently).

What about a standard self-storage centre? You wouldn't need much space compared to someone with a lot of furniture. No idea on costs though, possibly quite expensive.

A great place to try is Hawleys...

They are on Holme Lane.

I lived in a one bedroom flat and managed to keep a full set of winter wheels/tyres, laid on their side and stacked they're fine. You can also buy stands for them to separate them out if you're concerned but they take no more floor space than one wheel this way.

If you buy them at kwik fit they used to offer the service of what they called a tyre hotel I think. You did have to pay for it though

I just bought Michelin cross climate tyres, they are summer tyres with winter certification. They're not classed as 'all seasons' and are reported as a game changer in the tyre markets and removes the need for 2 sets of tyres.

ring staton tyres at birley they fit winter and store your old tyres for you.steve has been in the trade for 25 years and he cant do enough for you with help and advice,my neighbour has had 3 quotes and staton came out best and he was very pleased with the service fitted next day................tel248 61 84

---------- Post added 19-11-2015 at 15:21 ----------

just seen the weather report snow on its way this weekend and its only nov.

Try Grahams Tyres 3 depots in Sheffield. I know they offer a safe and secure storage service and will also re-fit them for you next year.

I just bought Michelin cross climate tyres, they are summer tyres with winter certification. They're not classed as 'all seasons' and are reported as a game changer in the tyre markets and removes the need for 2 sets of tyres.

We just got a set of these too for our new car after running winter tyres on steel wheels for many years (the steelies we had would not fit the new car).

Will be interesting to see if they are good enough. I have in the past had Vredestein Quatracs all seasons and they were pretty good in getting me up a steel snow covered road.

As you say , they are close to a summer tyre in dry (and wet) warmish conditions but miles better on snow (albeit not as good as a winter tyre).

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Is-there-a-true-all-season-tyre-We-find-out.htm

We just got a set of these too for our new car after running winter tyres on steel wheels for many years (the steelies we had would not fit the new car).

Will be interesting to see if they are good enough. I have in the past had Vredestein Quatracs all seasons and they were pretty good in getting me up a steel snow covered road.

As you say , they are close to a summer tyre in dry (and wet) warmish conditions but miles better on snow (albeit not as good as a winter tyre).

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Is-there-a-true-all-season-tyre-We-find-out.htm

That's an interesting test. I run Goodyear Vector 4 season on my car, all year round. I reviewed lots of test results before choosing them, and accepted the slight reduction in summer performance for a very big gain in winter performance, in comparison to summer tyres.

The tests I saw included a whole range of winter driving handling parameters. However, based on occasional bad conditions (typical in the southern half of the UK), the decision to concentrate on traction and braking in snow is a good idea. For most people, ultimate handling in snow isn't an issue. The main issue is to get home safely when caught out in snow. This looks like it might be the way forward.

Even though it is not offered as an all season tyre, it will probably be treated as such by many people and will no doubt be tested as one, where we can probably expect its winter weather abilities to generally be less that all season tyres when it comes to handling etc. But for what it is being offered as, it seems to be a good idea.

I'll certainly give it a close look (and look at more test results) when I'm next due to buy tyres. Having already made the move to all season tyres, it is unlikely I'd ever go to separate sets of summer and winter tyres (I now only do a low mileage, and so would be unlikely to get full use out of 2 sets), but think these might be a good choice.