Beginner camera - advice please!

Looking for a bit of advice please! I'm looking for a camera for my partner as a basic start up camera for a complete beginner. It'll be mainly used for taking photos of rescue dogs (as well as our own!) And landscapes on our dog walks... Looking for either advice on what to look for, or recommendations for actual cameras. Probably looking around the £200 mark if possible. I have no idea where to start!

Thanks in advance ?

The Canon Powershot SX710 clocks in at around the £200 mark, and is a very capable point and shoot, with reasonable low light performance (so you don't have to use flash, more natural, less stark pictures). The full auto mode works very well, and it has an alarming superzoom facility offering 30X magnification with it's 700mm equivalent lens.

Shame you couldnt stretch to £269, I have the Nikon Coolpix P7800 and its a great little camera.

splash out on a ok used dslr with maybe a 18-55mm kit lens

your photos will be much better and you will actualy learn something about photography as you go .

sure you could get a used 12-15mp dslr for around that price ..

There are hundreds of cameras at a wide range of prices, so what kind of camera do you want?

I had a sony Rx100 I love it, and I want to get a new, these are the cameras I'm thinking about http://thedigitalcamera.net/sony-rx100-iii-vs-rx100-iv-comparison-whats-the-different/

Edited by bergerr

There are hundreds of cameras at a wide range of prices, so what kind of camera do you want?

I had a sony Rx100 I love it, and I want to get a new, these are the cameras I'm thinking about http://thedigitalcamera.net/sony-rx100-iii-vs-rx100-iv-comparison-whats-the-different/

Very nice cameras indeed.

Look for a secondhand superzoom bridge camera, they are available at bargain prices, I have a Fuji HS20 30 times zoom, quite high tech. Easy to use and you will learn a lot for little money. I still have my Fuji, its too good to sell, not worth much in monetary terms but a brilliant holiday camera when a DSLR with lenses would be too heavy. Have fun.

I owned a HS10 and it was a nice little startup camera - especially with a DCR250 macro lens attached to the end for really close-up macro photography. The camera was on the small side and fun to use - although the viewfinder was terrible. Soon got the bug and jumped to DSLR - and the difference in quality was tremendous. If I was you I'd skip bridge cameras and similar and buy a cheap second-hand Canon or Nikon DSLR. That way you won't be wasting money. They're also easier to sell on if you lose interest or want to move to something better. My first DSLR was a Canon 550D which was great for the money. Good all-rounder and easy to use. Then moved to a 7D which is ideal for wildlife/bird photography(Selling my Canon 400mm L 5.6 lens if anyone is interested) There's a range of lenses available for both Canon and Nikon that are fairly cheap new and second-hand - especially telephoto zoom lenses. Telephoto lenses are quite versatile and are ideal to start-up with. Not bad for portrait and pet photography too.

Thanks everyone for all your advice! I ended up getting a used Nikon D3000 and pretty happy with it so far! Have a lot to learn but glad we got a second hand one to start us off as you get more for your money. We've only started using it today as it was a birthday present, but so far really happy with it :-)