Caution dog walkers of Stannington

This morning my mom has taken her dog out for a walk only to find a white powder sprinkled around lots of the lamp posts on her route ( Stannington road area near the infant school). Not sure what it is but thought it worth mentioning for people to keep an eye out for it.

Unfortunately her dog managed to eat a bit of it before she could get to him and she's now in for a worrying few hours and a trip to the vets whilst we see if there is something sinister to it!

Have you called 101 to report it?

Please could you let us know how the dog is and what the powder was? I hope that its nothing nasty :(

Am waiting for the latest update but he seems OK a quick trip to the vets and an injection

To make him sick plus charcoal has hopefully stopped it being more serious.

I will ask my mom to report it to 101!

The vet didn't really know what it was - it had the appearance of flour but they were more worried that it could have been laced with something

Even if it was just flour the upset that it has caused is unfair and the poor dog with a trip to the vets! I don't get why people do these sorts of things- it appears to be deliberate as it was round the base of the lamp posts and on more than 1!

Did you take some to the vet with you then ? I would have though they would test it or at least pass it on to environmental health to test. Poor dog i hope hes feeling better now.

Yes mom took a bag of it that she went back and scooped up with her- the vets were going to ring the council they said to check if they knew of anything that had been used.

Will update if I hear anymore

I have a friend trying to look into it with someone he knows at the council to see if anything has been sprayed there. Apparently the weed killer they use could possibly turn to white powder when it dries.

If I hear anything from him about it I'll update (unless he does). If it is the council it certainly shouldn't be dangerous to animals and they really out to put notices up to say it's been done for reasons like this.

Glad your mum's dog appears to be ok.

Thanks Lotti! That's great! Someone locally has said they saw a man and a woman with a pop bottle sprinkling stuff around lamp posts last night - he thought they might be from the scouts doing orienteering so left them too it! I've sent the scouts an email asking if they might be able to confirm it so will also update if I hear anything!

Thankfully he seems to be ok, he has charcoal all around his face and is feeling a bit sorry for himself. Unfortunately this isn't the first time it's happened and mom got really upset as the first time we nearly lost him as he was only young I just don't get why people do this sort of stuff!

Oh bless him :( I will never understand why people do it, it's heinous. Hopefully it is just the scouts or something but seems strange doesn't it!

Has your mum still got the bag of powder?

Are they planning to send it off? I was trying to see if I knew anyone who could analyse it but would need the powder lol

I think so, just been up to see him now and he was practically his usual self which was good to see. If I hear what it is I'll let u know

---------- Post added 17-11-2015 at 21:09 ----------

Also meant to say the vet told her it definitely wasn't rat poison!