Particularly heavy traffic today 16/11/15

Too many people. Imagine what it's going to be like in 2025.

The one thing that could save us from permagridlock is the introduction of driverless cars. It's widely predicted that people wont own their own car, but call one up from the large pool. The speeds will be optimised and the cars can drive much closer together since they'll be synchronised and with automatic braking.

Too many people. Imagine what it's going to be like in 2025.

The one thing that could save us from permagridlock is the introduction of driverless cars. It's widely predicted that people wont own their own car, but call one up from the large pool. The speeds will be optimised and the cars can drive much closer together since they'll be synchronised and with automatic braking.

I used to have a really good article about the potential timeline for driverless car technology but I can't find it... It would be one of the most useful ways to optimise road capacity.

Its truly pathetic the way people behave at Christmas.

If there was no mention of it on TV most wouldn't bother. The shopping I mean. It is mass hypnotism.

Why do you assume that everyone driving on that road at that time was out shopping ?

Nothing to do with many workplaces finishing at lunchtime for the Christmas break I suppose ?

Total nightmare in town today at some point whole city will grind to a holt,just too much traffic for roads to cope coupled with terrible decisions from the council making roads narrower and closing off roads and of course the recent bus change disaster.

Total nightmare in town today at some point whole city will grind to a holt,just too much traffic for roads to cope coupled with terrible decisions from the council making roads narrower and closing off roads and of course the recent bus change disaster.

Hillsborough was very busy at lunchtime today.

Monday evening on the other hand, crossing town, much quieter than usual!

I thought rush hour was much quieter than usual as was early evening. Looks like people out in the day doing shopping (perhaps because kids off now)

Hillsborough was awful last night around 4pm. Totally horrible.

I had to go to Rotherham during rush hour last night and their road systems are brill, didn't hit any queues despite lots of cars!

I went to Meadowhell at 1650, took the usual time of 40 mins (usual for rush hour).

Hillsborough must have been having a specific problem, it was jammed at lunchtime as well. I only wanted a haircut, but every place was waiting 5 deep and that was after I parked up well outside and walked in...

It's all been very strange this year. I went shopping at Crystal Peaks on Saturday at around 11am and was expecting hell on earth. It was absolutely dead, significantly quieter than a normal Saturday. I can only assume hungover people from Christmas parties on the Friday are to thank!

It was "mad Friday"...

I was out in town, and it was pretty busy. Anchorage was full, which is absolutely unheard of, some Friday nights I've seen Anchorage with <10 people in it!

I am very fortunate that I don't have to leave most days until about 9 in the morning. My journey used to take about 45 minutes with about 25 minutes to get to J33 of M1 and then another 20 mins afterwards. Since beginning of November, this journey has taken a minimum of a hour - to the M1 is now taking 40 minute; the journey afterwards is the same.

Just on from my earlier post, still travelling after 9 but on all three days this week the total journey has been 40 minutes - 20 minutes to J33 of M1 and then still 20 minutes onwards. Glad I wasn't shopping at the Handsworth Asda as I went passed though :)

Just on from my earlier post, still travelling after 9 but on all three days this week the total journey has been 40 minutes - 20 minutes to J33 of M1 and then still 20 minutes onwards. Glad I wasn't shopping at the Handsworth Asda as I went passed though :)
Many people must have broken off for the festive period last Friday, or Monday (oddly, Monday AM has usually been lighter than Tuesday AM for the past few months :huh:)

It's been a fairly smooth and easy commute for me (A57 > Jct 31 > Jct 34S) at rush hour (8-ish) every day since Monday, clearest yet this morning, and at the rate traffic has been thinning, I fully expect to be pretty much on my own tomorrow morning! :hihi:

Compensated by the nightmare that is doing the reverse at night...but that's par for the course with working next door to M'hell :(