Particularly heavy traffic today 16/11/15

I think it is no surprise that there are more cars on the road at rush hour than there used to be.I go to work in my car and I have noticed a lot more cars on the road since the price of fuel has dropped.When it was at its highest price my commute to work and back was a lot quicker.I think most people who own a car would prefer to use it rather than public transport if given the choice.I think its down to cost in most cases.As soon as the clocks change all the traffic suddenly increases,happens every year at this time.some people especially women do not fancy going home in the dark on public transport or walking and to be honest I do not blame them.

I think it is no surprise that there are more cars on the road at rush hour than there used to be.I go to work in my car and I have noticed a lot more cars on the road since the price of fuel has dropped.When it was at its highest price my commute to work and back was a lot quicker.I think most people who own a car would prefer to use it rather than public transport if given the choice.I think its down to cost in most cases.As soon as the clocks change all the traffic suddenly increases,happens every year at this time.some people especially women do not fancy going home in the dark on public transport or walking and to be honest I do not blame them.

Really?

I've never thought about that as being an issue. I've seen the prices up and down as good as anyone, and I've never noticed any correlation between the £/l and traffic density.

I've just driven along the inner city ring road and a fair distance on Penistone Road and Abbeydale / London Road and the traffic is no where near as heavy as it usually is on a Sunday morning.:confused:

I've just driven along the inner city ring road and a fair distance on Penistone Road and Abbeydale / London Road and the traffic is no where near as heavy as it usually is on a Sunday morning.:confused:

You should try driving near Meadowhall at the moment.Absolute nightmare.

---------- Post added 22-11-2015 at 16:53 ----------

Really?

I've never thought about that as being an issue. I've seen the prices up and down as good as anyone, and I've never noticed any correlation between the £/l and traffic density.

I drive up and down Penistone rd and the inner ringroad every working day and there definitely was a noticeable difference.I have a habit of timing my same journey everyday and the journey time has increased considerably over the last year,i am talking 10 to 15 minutes increase on the exact same journey.I suspect the constant road closures are causing some of the problems at the moment as well.There are diversion signs everywhere.Does anybody know how much longer the road and pavement improvements are going to take,they seem to have been doing it for years already.

Edited by ghost rider

Some road closures around Hallamshire / University today. Glossop Road closed to traffic going into town near students' union, Wilkinson St closed.

Even our tram was 20 mins late getting to Middlewood this morning - 3 lots of passengers crammed onto one tram heading back to town. Don't know what caused that though, presumably nothing to do with the road closures, although nothing would surprise me!

What the heck is going on with the trams recently? This morning was almost as bad as last Monday. Last week, for 3 out of the 4 mornings I used the tram, it was significantly late....and packed.

I've been commuting on this route for nearly 5 years, and (apart from when there's been replacement bus services due to works) it's been really reliable. You could almost set your watch by the morning service. OK, so once in a blue moon you get a delay, but just recently it all seems to have gone to pot.

Looking at the Supertram website, there hasn't been a change in timetable, apart from one extra tram that's been laid on, so what's going on?

Edited by Olive

What the heck is going on with the trams recently? This morning was almost as bad as last Monday. Last week, for 3 out of the 4 mornings I used the tram, it was significantly late....and packed.

I've been commuting on this route for nearly 5 years, and (apart from when there's been replacement bus services due to works) it's been really reliable. You could almost set your watch by the morning service. OK, so once in a blue moon you get a delay, but just recently it all seems to have gone to pot.

Looking at the Supertram website, there hasn't been a change in timetable, apart from one extra tram that's been laid on, so what's going on?

I wonder if the bus changes have had an effect Olive?

If the Star and here are to be believed (i.e. bus cuts and changes causing slight chaos) if people have walked a bit further to get the tram.

---------- Post added 23-11-2015 at 11:25 ----------

I drive up and down Penistone rd and the inner ringroad every working day and there definitely was a noticeable difference.I have a habit of timing my same journey everyday and the journey time has increased considerably over the last year,i am talking 10 to 15 minutes increase on the exact same journey.I suspect the constant road closures are causing some of the problems at the moment as well.There are diversion signs everywhere.Does anybody know how much longer the road and pavement improvements are going to take,they seem to have been doing it for years already.

Fair enough, but I didn't notice it get quieter on the roads with higher prices. If there was a considerable difference then I would prefer to pay more for my fuel.

I wonder if the bus changes have had an effect Olive?

If the Star and here are to be believed (i.e. bus cuts and changes causing slight chaos) if people have walked a bit further to get the tram.

Possibly some people have given up on the buses and are opting for the tram instead?

Most of the problem is with the trams being late though. On any morning between 8 and 9 the trams are pretty much full when they set off from Middlewood, certainly full with people standing by the time they pick up at the second stop, at Leppings Lane. It only takes a tram to be 10 minutes late and you've already got double the number of passengers.

As I cycle past the stationary queue of single occupancy cars on Glossop road every morning I wonder, how do people cope with it every day with going mad, why do they glibly accept it as part of the commute and why does no one ever car share?

I think I’ve found the answer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34908105

Then again my wife used to drive to Bolsover every day, at the same time that a good friend of ours drove the same route to the old Stavely Chemicals plant.

Their routes were so close that they would be often queued behind each other on the way. They admitted that it made total sense to share the journey as often as possible, not least as it halved the fuel bill, but they both said they wanted a personal space to sit in even if it meant 4 empty seats.

Human nature I suppose.

The traffic around the Childrens Hospital is horrendous.

It took 20 minutes at around 3 pm to travel up the short road from the traffic lights below the Hallamshire to the Childrens Hospital.

A queue of single occupancy cars is not caused by an aversion to car sharing. The line at Glossop Rd will have cars from different areas both in and beyond Sheffield. The drivers will work at different organisations. Even if two drivers bumper to bumper work for the same organisation, both may need their vehicles to carry out their duties and go home from remote locations not a central office. Post work activity and requirements may adversely affect the suitability of sharing. I always wonder as to the message given via travel news on radio where the AA and RAC ask us to "stagger your journey" on Bank Holidays and the like.

Has anybody contacted anyone to do so. For example, "I shall be going to Glasgow this Friday and setting off about 5.30. Any chance you could delay setting off to Plymouth until 6

So we don't add to the traffic congestion?"

The traffic around the Childrens Hospital is horrendous.

It took 20 minutes at around 3 pm to travel up the short road from the traffic lights below the Hallamshire to the Childrens Hospital.

It's not being helped by the fact Glossop Road is closed further down for water works, but even when that road's open there's congestion virtually all hours of the day. My guess is people are looking for somewhere to park due to the laughable lack of parking in the area.

It's not being helped by the fact Glossop Road is closed further down for water works, but even when that road's open there's congestion virtually all hours of the day. My guess is people are looking for somewhere to park due to the laughable lack of parking in the area.

I know a number of people with medium length commutes (Holmfirth, Penistone & Bamford) who walk that last mile to work. A couple of them park up on Springvale Road, another one on the Crosspool side of Broomhill They say it actually quicker than driving the last bit, uses less fuel (no stop start) and avoids paying the 40 quid /month for parking. Even a gentle walk from Springvale Road sees you at the far side of the University in less than 15 mins