Hospital referral

Was taken to A&E but was a long way from home, so got a letter for GP and told to make an urgent appt, which he did. Just waiting now.

Some months ago I was referred by my GP for an urgent appointment - I was at the hospital 2 weeks later which I thought was brilliant.

I would give it 2 weeks and then get in touch with the GP for them to chase it up.

Hope all is well.

---------- Post added 19-11-2015 at 11:46 ----------

Was taken to A&E but was a long way from home, so got a letter for GP and told to make an urgent appt, which he did. Just waiting now.

I guess that you can reassure yourself that an urgent referral is sufficient if they allowed him home from A&E - although if there is any change in the chest pains he is getting I would make sure he is taken back to A&E to be checked.

Edited by Daven

Thanks Daven, GP referral was Monday of last week, so should hear early next week. Might contact hospital tomorrow though. Thanks for good wishes, hope you are OK too.

I was thanks for asking.

The symptoms I had meant it had to be checked out quickly but everything was fine.

It's an 18 week pathway from referral to treatment.

I used to work in the hospital dealing with these for my section. (Unless it's for cancer and that's two a week appointment turnaround).

As soon as your referral is received you will be sent a letter to make an appointment and offered the first available. However the department I worked in was very busy, and some appointments were a few weeks ahead, If not you will get an appointment sooner.

The letter should be sent within two weeks, this doesn't mean in a busy department you will get an appointment in that time, it's anytime up to 18 weeks.

If the consultant grades your letter and states urgent, then you will be given an urgent slot

Edited by trackrunner

It's an 18 week pathway from referral to treatment.

I used to work in the hospital dealing with these for my section. (Unless it's for cancer and that's two a week appointment turnaround).

As soon as your referral is received you will be sent a letter to make an appointment and offered the first available. However the department I worked in was very busy, and some appointments were a few weeks ahead, If not you will get an appointment sooner.

The letter should be sent within two weeks, this doesn't mean in a busy department you will get an appointment in that time, it's anytime up to 18 weeks.

If the consultant grades your letter and states urgent, then you will be given an urgent slot

This seems to be what I've experienced, I had a two week referral to an oncologist/urologist consultant and had an appointment within 8 days, that same consultant then sent a report stating, I urgently need an appointment with an Endocrinologist and that he'd see me in back in his clinic to discuss surgery.

The endocrinologist appointment will work out to be around 11 weeks after being seen and told I needed an urgent appointment, I'm guessing by the time the endocrinologist and the original consultant will have done his surgery it's likely to be around the 18 week Mark.

then you read stories like below incidents having been know since 2008 and judging by the link still likely to influence a patients outcom.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/01/gp-practices-offered-rewards-for-not-referring-patients-to-hospitals

This seems to be what I've experienced, I had a two week referral to an oncologist/urologist consultant and had an appointment within 8 days, that same consultant then sent a report stating, I urgently need an appointment with an Endocrinologist and that he'd see me in back in his clinic to discuss surgery.

The endocrinologist appointment will work out to be around 11 weeks after being seen and told I needed an urgent appointment, I'm guessing by the time the endocrinologist and the original consultant will have done his surgery it's likely to be around the 18 week Mark.

then you read stories like below incidents having been know since 2008 and judging by the link still likely to influence a patients outcom.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/01/gp-practices-offered-rewards-for-not-referring-patients-to-hospitals

If your referral to the Endocrinologist is a seperate condition, then its a whole new 18 week pathway, but any diagnostic test for your current condition should be within 6 weeks of your first appointment. Its very confusing and I did it for 5 years

If your referral to the Endocrinologist is a seperate condition, then its a whole new 18 week pathway, but any diagnostic test for your current condition should be within 6 weeks of your first appointment. Its very confusing and I did it for 5 years

Confusing is the word, I'm certain it's for the same thing, as the first 18 week began the beginning of October, can't be completed without the endocrinologist doing their assessment and treatment, if not the urologist/oncologist won't complete their 18 week pathway, which in itself will be at 12 weeks by the time I attend my first appointment with the endocrinologist.

Confusing is the word, I'm certain it's for the same thing, as the first 18 week began the beginning of October, can't be completed without the endocrinologist doing their assessment and treatment, if not the urologist/oncologist won't complete their 18 week pathway, which in itself will be at 12 weeks by the time I attend my first appointment with the endocrinologist.

If it's a diagnostic test requested by the consultant as part of your original referral, (just say a scan as an example) then it will be within 6 weeks after you have been seen, (or should be).

If the original consultant finds another problem not connected to the one he/she is treating you for, the 18 week pathway for the second one will start again in that department as a secondary referral.

Although the original consultant has started your treatment for the first problem you have been seen within the 18 weeks for that one.

Hope that makes it clearer

If it's a diagnostic test requested by the consultant as part of your original referral, (just say a scan as an example) then it will be within 6 weeks after you have been seen, (or should be).

If the original consultant finds another problem not connected to the one he/she is treating you for, the 18 week pathway for the second one will start again in that department as a secondary referral.

Although the original consultant has started your treatment for the first problem you have been seen within the 18 weeks for that one.

Hope that makes it clearer

Thanks, that's pretty clear.

I would think mine is all related as its to do with getting testosterone replacement therapy for the endocrinologist, before the original consultant can do a bilateral orchidectomy.

Thanks for the explanation.