Hospital referral

Can anyone tell me, if a GP refers a patient for an urgent appointment, how soon can we expect one

think its supposed to be within 2 weeks if I remember correctly, I could be wrong though.

Thank you, hope that's correct it's quite important

probably best to phone up the doctors on Monday and ask :)

its confusing it could be 6 weeks, it really depends on what you've been referred for. best phoning the doctors for clarification.

Edited by dangerousedd

Yes, I was thinking of doing that but it's only a week since the GP's appt. I thought I had heard it was two weeks but wanted to be sure. we'll give it a few more days and then phone

I would phone the hospital appointments department at the hospital you are going too,if you know which one.

Going to get consultant's name from GP and phone his secretary. Just to make sure they have received referral.

The GP doesnt decide the urgency of the appointment. The referral is graded by a consultant as either urgent or routine, if its graded urgent should be 2-4 weeks, routine is ideally within 6 weeks but some waiting times are longer

Thank you for info. GP said urgent. 18 year old with chest pain and other symptoms. Hope it's nearer to two weeks than four.

Thank you for that, it's very interesting. As this concerns my grandson I will show this to his parents if he has not yet received an appt.

Thank you for info. GP said urgent. 18 year old with chest pain and other symptoms. Hope it's nearer to two weeks than four.

hmm chest pains? id be tempted to take him to a&e if he was my relative.

sometimes gp's can be a bit on the slow side that's if you can get em to do anything.