What did we do before Children in Need?

I can't remember charitable appeals in the UK during the 1960s? I can remember taking money to school for 'Sunny Smiles' where you bought a picture supposed to be a child from an orphanage, although no one knew very much about it? What did charities do before events like Children in Need?

There were a lot more street collections, jumble sales etc. I remember sunny smiles. Im sure it happened, but it was a lot more basic in those days.

Lots of jumble sales, fetes, bazaars and 'bring and buy' sales in the 60's.

I too remember being given the 'Sunny smiles' at Sunday School to sell.

watched tv in peace?

I nearly posted that but hesitated lol !

Totally agree - it really is a bad evenings TV isn't it ?

Hope Gogglebox is on !

Edited by Daven

watched tv in peace?

I have never watched it and wont be doing it tonight,the darts is on sky sports tonight for a start.Thats me sorted for tonight.

Watched EastEnders? :hihi:

Ah, Children in Need. The night when a load of tax dodging millionaires spend the night on TV pleading for people several times poorer than themselves to give money to compensate for the taxes they dodged (and often for a fee).

I think CIN will struggle this year after all the pad publicity about Kids Company. Plus Wogan's not doing it, plus there's an England vs Spain game on free TV, plus popular stuff running against it on other channels such as Darts and Gogglebox. I am long suspected all charity to be largely a scam that just makes the directors of the charities rich. If you want to give money to needy children, give directly, that way you know they will get 100% of the money.

If you want to give money to needy children, give directly, that way you know they will get 100% of the money.

Just a word of caution here. If you take HH's advice and wander down Fargate offering £10 notes to random children, don't be surprised if you find yourself in custody, answering some very difficult questions.

I think CIN will struggle this year after all the pad publicity about Kids Company. Plus Wogan's not doing it, plus there's an England vs Spain game on free TV, plus popular stuff running against it on other channels such as Darts and Gogglebox. I am long suspected all charity to be largely a scam that just makes the directors of the charities rich. If you want to give money to needy children, give directly, that way you know they will get 100% of the money.

So which charity do you donate to?

I don't. I meant give money directly to a needy child. Instead of to a charity where by the time everyone gets their cut, the child will be lucky to get anything.

I don't. I meant give money directly to a needy child. Instead of to a charity where by the time everyone gets their cut, the child will be lucky to get anything.

Your post is so ludicrous I won't be surprised to find out that you could have done with a massive CIN yourself when you were a kid.

Let's take the example of a severely autistic child such as http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01lnvc7

I wonder whether giving a severely autistic child some money rather than funding support workers would have been a better idea.

Next HH idea - instead of funding the NHS, give patients themselves the money so they can operate on themselves.