Not using car for some time ?

Just a question about laying up a car for some time. My sons partner has broken her leg and can't drive for some time. It looks like her car will be stood for around 12 weeks. My son is wondering, should it be started and run for some time to charge the battery, or would the battery be OK for that length of time ?

I have never had a car off the road for that long so I can't advise him. Has anyone else had to do it ?

I found this information

Depending on the type of battery and temperature, batteries have a natural self-discharge or internal electro chemical "leakage" at a 1% to 25% rate per month. Over time the battery will become sulfated and fully discharged. Higher temperatures accelerate this process. A battery stored at 95° F (35° C) will self-discharge twice as fast than one stored at 75° F (23.9° C).

http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly/aa101604f.htm

So I guess it would be prudent to give it a little run every month.

In addition to that, if the car is parked off the public highway you could consider SORN and get some money back.

If anyone else is insured on it its a good idea to run it at least once a week.

Keeps bearings spinning and battery healthy.

I don't think 12 weeks would normally be too much of a problem, but over winter you may experience some.

For long term stationary vehicles they recommend disconnecting the battery, getting it off it's wheels and changing the fluids (oil etc) when you start using it again. Perhaps the first and last of those would be worth doing.

I think this has been asked on here before, the thread had some good advice. Put some consideration to not leaving the handbrake on.

12 weeks isn't long in the grand scheme of things, I'd imagine sale cars on car lots sit for longer.

Thank you for all your advise. In answer to Snailyboy, well she does have a drive but I don't know if she last parked it on the drive or the road because she was having some work done and a skip was on the drive, but in any case I will pass the advise on. Thank,s again.

I think this has been asked on here before, the thread had some good advice. Put some consideration to not leaving the handbrake on.

12 weeks isn't long in the grand scheme of things, I'd imagine sale cars on car lots sit for longer.

You must have seen salesmen using a powerpack of some description to get them going..I reckon 12 weeks is quite a while for a battery to go without being charged..

Your battery will be as dead as a doornail, and the handbrake will be stuck on probably.

If it's only for 12 weeks, park it in gear, handbrake off, chock 2 wheels and then disconnect the battery leads.

It is far preferable though for a drive as that throws oil about the engine and stop corrosion setting in on the internal surfaces. If you can get someone to do that then a drive once a fortnight for at least ten miles would be ideal and you can just park it normally.

Battery chargers are quite cheap, so if you park it up as above and for good measure leave a battery charger on it for a few hours before reconnecting it then all should be fine. 12 weeks isn't enough for more serious damage, but returning from holiday the handbrake has seized on my car repeatedly even with newer cars so avoiding the handbrake is important.

NO dont start it up every so often worst thing you can do you have to get the car to working tempreture to get the oil round all of the engine parts, when you first start it up from cold the cold start choke enriches the fuel washing the lubrication oil from the cylinders, this can cause premature wear to the cylinders,,if you are worried about the battery going flat you can buy a battery charger put it on charge a few days before you need to use it or buy a cheap trickle charger..if it is a diesel engine same again not a good idea to start it up all the time as diesel engines take a lot of warming up and don't usually start warming up properly until they are pulling or working, just ticking over and revving them up stood just doesn't really get a diesel engine warmed up properly as for the batteries used on a diesel engine they have to be in good charge order to start up from cold so it would need to be a good battery fully charged to start it up after being stood for some time.as for the hand brake sticking on when stood yes it can happen as the rust in the drums or calipers can make the shoes or pads hold on.. take the handbrake off and chock the wheels and put it in gear if you park on an incline.

You must have seen salesmen using a powerpack of some description to get them going..I reckon 12 weeks is quite a while for a battery to go without being charged..

Yeah possibly. Longest I've left mine is eight weeks.

It turns out that the car is on the road because the skip was still on the drive when she last parked up, but that may be a fortunate thing as regards taking the handbrake off, because the drive is on a slope whereas the road is flat. Thank's to all again for your replies.