Vegan Lifestyle - Intrigue

Hi there

Recently I've been looking at fitness videos on YouTube and came across the calisthenics guru Frank Medrano. He's a vegan athlete and is living proof that, to be strong and athletic, you don't 'need' meat. He looks amazing and his workouts are epic, to say the least.

As a meat eater for most of the 34 years of my life, I've decided that I want to try the vegan diet - say, for a month - to see if I benefit from the supposed health perks. However, it's extremely daunting in a number of ways, from the looks that people who know me will give me, the negative comments and lack of support it's likely to bring, to where to shop and what to shop for for meals etc.

I was hoping there would be groups I could attend and speak to, or if someone who lives a vegan lifestyle would be good enough to invite me round to discuss it all, that would be great.

Cheers in advance

Bacon sarnie will turn you.

Well, considering I'm currently a meat eater, that's a bit of a pointless idea...

But cheers anyway.

If you are on Facebook, try joining the Sheffield vegan and vegetarian group https://www.facebook.com/groups/390834354436314/?fref=ts

There's some good tips and ideas for places you can eat at easily in Sheffield. There's also vegan supermarket finds groups. And obviously, google is a great help. Good luck with trying it out, it really isn't as hard as it may seem :)

It is a good idea to experiment with a vegan diet on a short term just to learn about new ingredients and way of cooking. On the long term it is another story...

The benefits that most people get from switching to a vegan/vegetarian diet is due to the fact that they eat a lot more veggies than before and not from the fact that they cut out meat.

Moreover, I would not based my motivation to go vegan on Frank Medrano results. Everybody is different. Few people thrive on a vegan diet but it is not common. In the same way, there are also Olympic gold medalist that smoke and eat Mcdonalds...Would you follow their lifestyle though?

Good luck with your experiment.

Try posting in the healthy living group, you might get more positive responses from there.

I'm not vegan, nor veggie, but I do know a couple of people who have lost weight and become a hell of lot fitter and happier after going vegan.

It's also turned them into insufferable bores who bang on about it all the time, a bit like ex-smokers.

Thanks for the positive responses.

I was only using Medrano as a motivational tool insofar as pushing me to try something different in my goals to get fitter. There's no way I'd be able to get anywhere near his abilities and physique, it was more just the going vegan to get fitter bit and him showing that meat isn't a necessity in that.

Taxman - I'd like to think I wouldn't turn in to that. I don't think eating meat is wrong in itself, so I wouldn't be preaching to anyone. This is solely for my own health benefit and not to convert others.

I have been vegan for four years. At first you will experience nuisances from quitting meat, like any addict would feel from quitting an addiction. More over, you might experience some diarrea or some other digestive issues, mainly from eating more fiber. For some people it might be easy to do, for some others won't, I mostly guess it will be depending on your expectations. Hunger will also be an issue, so, try to eat more starches that can make you feel full. However, If you are really into trying a full switch to veganism, do it in the shortest period possible. Meaning, don't indulge yourself with cheat meals or cheat days. This is due that a vegan diet can be, by itself, cleansing. If you keep eating meat or dairy on eventual occasions, you will keep feeling health nuances. You don't say what's your current health status, that is also very important. Hope this helps.

It might be easier to start with vegetarianism, if it's just an experiment.

If you're currently a meat-eater Leviathan13, it's a big step to move straight into veganism, so I tend to agree with the previous comment, advising that starting out with vegetarianism might be the best way. Going vegan is not just about giving up meat, fish and poultry - it's about giving up anything to do with animals and their by-products - so no cow or goat milk, no cheese or eggs, nothing that contains any kind of animal fat - like cakes, biscuits, ice-creams, jellies, trifles, pastry etc that contain any animal by-products - like butter, gelatine, suet etc. It means not using toiletries and cosmetics that contain lanolin....it means not wearing clothes and shoes that are made of leather, or wool.

Veganism is a very spartan lifestyle and it takes a lot of commitment. I have a friend who went totally vegan when he was 19 and now, in his early 50's, he's still totally vegan. I admire his ability to stand by his principles, but I must say that he is very slight and skinny, he feels the cold easily and seems to get every bug and virus doing the rounds. He's also very boring to invite round - you can't even give him a cup of herbal tea and a digestive biscuit, without he's scrutinizing the ingredients on the biscuit packet to ascertain that there are no animal fats included!

I don't think that total veganism is a particularly healthy lifestyle - I think the best way to be healthy is to have a bit of everything, but in moderation.....

If you're currently a meat-eater Leviathan13, it's a big step to move straight into veganism, so I tend to agree with the previous comment, advising that starting out with vegetarianism might be the best way. Going vegan is not just about giving up meat, fish and poultry - it's about giving up anything to do with animals and their by-products - so no cow or goat milk, no cheese or eggs, nothing that contains any kind of animal fat - like cakes, biscuits, ice-creams, jellies, trifles, pastry etc that contain any animal by-products - like butter, gelatine, suet etc. It means not using toiletries and cosmetics that contain lanolin....it means not wearing clothes and shoes that are made of leather, or wool.

Veganism is a very spartan lifestyle and it takes a lot of commitment. I have a friend who went totally vegan when he was 19 and now, in his early 50's, he's still totally vegan. I admire his ability to stand by his principles, but I must say that he is very slight and skinny, he feels the cold easily and seems to get every bug and virus doing the rounds. He's also very boring to invite round - you can't even give him a cup of herbal tea and a digestive biscuit, without he's scrutinizing the ingredients on the biscuit packet to ascertain that there are no animal fats included!

I don't think that total veganism is a particularly healthy lifestyle - I think the best way to be healthy is to have a bit of everything, but in moderation.....

Hmmm, I think you're being a bit bleak there. Vegan food is pretty easy now, especially because there are literally thousands of food bloggers who share vegan recipes all the time, and quite a few books published on the back of those blogs. You don't have to rule out cakes/desserts, there are tons of ways of making vegan baking and puddings, using avocado, maple syrup, dates, aquafaba, tofu etc etc. Check Foodgawker's website for some ideas.

Also, the OP is considering veganism for health reasons rather than ethical reasons, so there is no compulsion for him/her to be checking for lanolin, leather, wool and so on, unless s/he's considering eating it

Does anyone on here follow a Vegan lifestyle what are the pros and cons of it. Also what do you eat for a breakfast that's long lasting also what about getting Zinc and Iron in your diet?