Tree destruction on Winter Street

Can't believe anyone would want to put this monstrosity in that location, but it appears that the University is behind it so it's as good as passed.

Can't believe anyone would want to put this monstrosity in that location, but it appears that the University is behind it so it's as good as passed.

I haven't been able to look through all the planning docs yet, what makes you think that the university is supportive?

I hope they cut down all the trees on the stupid verges we have in this city, they are a menace and a nusance.

Trees are great, I have no problem with them, unless they blight my life with ....

Dropping their leaves all over my property all Autumn.

Blocking all my sunlight esp in the summer.

Blocking all my light (from streetlamps) at night all year round

Dripping sap all over the car whilst parked under them.

Providing a convenient perch for the evil birds who seem intent on doing their business all over said vehicle.

Growing their great big roots under our tarmac, creating huge "earthquake" type crack in it.

Pass the ruddy chainsaw, I'll help!!!!!!

I have nothing against trees when they are situated in the correct place but you are absolutely spot on We have all those problems but it sounds like our light problem may be even worse than yours because we to have lights on all day in summer.

I hope they cut down all the trees on the stupid verges we have in this city, they are a menace and a nusance.

Trees are great, I have no problem with them, unless they blight my life with ....

Dropping their leaves all over my property all Autumn.

Blocking all my sunlight esp in the summer.

Blocking all my light (from streetlamps) at night all year round

Dripping sap all over the car whilst parked under them.

Providing a convenient perch for the evil birds who seem intent on doing their business all over said vehicle.

Growing their great big roots under our tarmac, creating huge "earthquake" type crack in it.

Pass the ruddy chainsaw, I'll help!!!!!!

Could not agree more Crosser, we have an enormous tree outside our house that I would chop down myself if I could for exactly the same reasons that you have stated.

I haven't been able to look through all the planning docs yet, what makes you think that the university is supportive?

If you download the document called Planning Statement, you'll see there's a letter of support from the University's accommodation service attached to it.

It also contains some artist's impressions of the finished article which shows just how ridiculous it will look.

If you download the document called Planning Statement, you'll see there's a letter of support from the University's accommodation service attached to it.

It also contains some artist's impressions of the finished article which shows just how ridiculous it will look.

Ah yes thank you. How depressing. I am writing a letter of objection, as I advise anyone to who also thinks a development of this type in this location is completely inappropriate.

I have seen the renderings yes, it looks hideous and completely wrong for that location.

http://imgur.com/a/zOLH2

That looks like a big improvement over what's already there.

The building's height is in keeping with the nearby tower blocks and Arts Tower.

The more we can make efficient use of inner city land for student housing, the more terraced houses currently occupied by students that can be returned to house real people.

That looks like a big improvement over what's already there.

The building's height is in keeping with the nearby tower blocks and Arts Tower.

The more we can make efficient use of inner city land for student housing, the more terraced houses currently occupied by students that can be returned to house real people.

The Arts Tower is Grade II* listed. Buildings are not meant to be built that negatively impact on the setting of a listed building. I think this does. You wouldn't build this thing so close to any other Grade II* listed building I can think of.

As a former student in the adjacent Bartolome House, and current nearby resident I have to say that it is sad to lose the Star and Garter, but it wasn't what it used to be, and I still have my fond memories of the place. The new building looks good, is inkeeping with uni buildings nearby and is a good location for students.

My only reservation is that it will be more expensive than most private rented terraces, and price most students out of renting rooms there. Instead it will probably be occupied by increasing number of rich overseas students, who are usually Chinese and keep themselves to themselves anyway. Therefore it would not solve the problems caused by high densitys of student HMO houses in neighbouring areas.

As a former student in the adjacent Bartolome House, and current nearby resident I have to say that it is sad to lose the Star and Garter, but it wasn't what it used to be, and I still have my fond memories of the place. The new building looks good, is inkeeping with uni buildings nearby and is a good location for students.

My only reservation is that it will be more expensive than most private rented terraces, and price most students out of renting rooms there. Instead it will probably be occupied by increasing number of rich overseas students, who are usually Chinese and keep themselves to themselves anyway. Therefore it would not solve the problems caused by high densitys of student HMO houses in neighbouring areas.

There is already provision in place to prevent the high density of HMO's in the surrounding area.

Crookes, Walkley, Commonside etc etc are all covered by an Article 4 direction. This means that you require planning permission if you wish to rent out your house to 3 or more unrelated people. Permission will be denied if more than 20% of the houses with 200m are already HMO's.

Unfortunately, Robin-H Crookesmoor specifically has a density of over 50% in most areas. They were exempt from re-applying when the article 4 legislation came into force. It's great that there won't be any more made into HMO, however the current properties are still very much in demand. I know parts of Crookes that still stand at under 10%-plenty of scope for development up there!

Unfortunately, Robin-H Crookesmoor specifically has a density of over 50% in most areas. They were exempt from re-applying when the article 4 legislation came into force. It's great that there won't be any more made into HMO, however the current properties are still very much in demand. I know parts of Crookes that still stand at under 10%-plenty of scope for development up there!

True, yes some areas still have very high densities - I think Crookesmore Road is around 50%, and Ecclesall Road even higher. I'm not sure however that purpose built student accommodation is going to alleviate that.

Most people I know wanted to move into houses after their first year - for a start it is a lot cheaper. The only people I know who stayed in student flats after their first year were foreign students.